Chapter 2

Maya stares in awe at the sight in front of her. Hundreds of bees flew all around the hive, tending to their duties while baring no mind to the young, excited bee. As she steps forward to get a better look, she soon finds herself falling down before landing on the back of another bee who kept flying. She giggles in joy as she sees more of the hive at work, seeing them tend to the huge pillar of honey and even waving to a few as they deposit pollen into a big flower. Curious as ever, she gets the attention of the bee she's riding on with a question.

Maya: What is this?

Startled by her presence, the bee jolts up, causing Maya to fall again before catching the leg of another bee wearing a gold crown. He looks down in surprise at her, who smiles back at him widely.

Maya: This is fun!

Crown Bee: Huh!? Bees don't have fun! G-Get off!

With a kick of his leg, he sends Maya flying off of him and onto the back of another bee. Maya, however, only laughs some more as her hands block his sight, causing the worker bee to panic as he starts flying blindly throughout the hive and nearly crashes into other bees.

Meanwhile, a trio of bees walk around the hive before stopping in front of a wide opening where they could see the pillar of honey from before. One of them, a tall bee wearing a red collar and shoulder guards, sighs happily as she gestures towards the honey pillar.

Red-Collared Bee: Ahh, listen to that buzz, Your Majesty. That's the sound of good little bees keeping this great hive efficient.

This moment of highlighting how productive the hive has become is interrupted by the scream of the blinded bee, with Maya still holding onto him while laughing all the way. The sight of this angers the collared bee, until the screaming becomes closer and she and the other two bees look to their left. Finally letting go, Maya drops down and slides across the floor right in front of the trio, grinning as several balls of pollen are scattered around her.

Maya: This was so fun! Did you see? I was all the way up there, and then I was like, 'Bzzz!'

Maya then zips her body forward between the legs of the collared bee, who is shocked by the action as Maya looks up at the largest of the bees. With white hair and a large red and yellow crown, the elderly bee looks down at Maya in surprise.

Maya: Miss Big Bee, you've got something on your head. Is it heavy?

Although the old bee simply chuckles in amusement, the collared bee picks Maya up forcibly with a scowl on her face.

Red-Collared Bee: Silence! Clean this mess up! This is a hive, not some filthy hornet's nest!

Queen Bee: Pull your stinger in, Buzzlina. She is just a baby. I'm sure it was an accident.

As the elderly bee moves Buzzlina off to the side, she smiles at Maya gently in a show of comfort. In contrast, Buzzlina continues to speak in a cautionary tone.

Buzzlina: But if we allow bees to run amuck, the hive will fall into chaos!

The Queen acknowledges Buzzlina's words, but continues looking at Maya as she speaks in a motherly tone to her.

Queen Bee: She is right. Every bee in this hive has a role to play.

Maya: What's my role?

Queen Bee: Patience, little one. You'll find your place. You just need to learn how everything works first.

Buzzlina: But she broke the rules! She must be punished!

Buzzlina's outburst causes Maya to look down with a soft frown. Sighing tiredly, the Queen looks at Buzzlina with a stern gaze of her own.