Chapter 9

Y/N and the gang fly over a big pond, with the former taking a moment to fly lower to the water so he could wash up his face a bit. He sighs in relief.

Y/N: Ahh, needed that!

Eventually, the gang reach Jitterbug Hollow, where a large crowd of bugs of all shapes, colors, and sizes gather around a flower stage. Maya stares in awe and excitement.

Maya: Jitterbug Hollow!

As the gang get acquainted with their surroundings, Y/N lands on a nearby lily pad while gesturing to the kids to sit down in a flower pad next to it. They quickly take a seat in it, all while looking around.

Willy: Well? So where is this Flip?

Sting: Shh, it's starting!

The sounds of drums being played garners their attention, as a talented young spider astounds everyone with their drumming skills. All the while, Flip's voice can be heard.

Flip: Ladybugs and gentle pests! Welcome to Jitterbug Hollow! Hit it, Mozz!

As the mosquito named Mozz starts playing with what can only be described as a vine harmonica, more instrumental bugs join in on the ceremony as Flip encourages them all to play. Willy smiles as he bops his head along to the beats, as do Maya, Sting, and even Y/N. Though he keeps it more subtle compared to the kids. The band concludes their short performance as the crowd cheers for them.

Flip: What an audience we got tonight! Worms, gnats, crickets, horseflies. Why the long face?

The audience laughs while Y/N simply facepalms. If he knew more puns were going to be made, he might've just stayed out of the festivities. Aw well, too late to back out now.

Flip: So, any bugs here from out of town?

Immediately, Maya zips from her seat and onto the stage, gaining Flip's attention who simply laughs heartily.

Flip: Welcome, little one! Did they give ya a name yet?

Maya: Maya.

Flip: Maya? I like it! And what brings you here to Jitterbug Hollow?

Maya: I wanted to ask you an important question!

Flip: Ask away, we're all friends here!

He gestures out towards the crowd, with Willy and Sting smiling while Y/N glances around for a moment. Feeling stared at, he gives a light smile and nod to Maya before she asks her question.

Maya: Where do I belong, Flip?

Flip: Ooh, an easy one. Last I checked, bees belonged in hives, Maya.

Maya frowns sadly before continuing.

Maya: They don't like me back there. I'm just too different...Please, Flip. You need to teach me how to live out here. In the meadow!

Flip then hands her a branch in order to distract her as he momentarily leaves before returning with a big flower head. He gestures to her to enter the flower as it 'holds the answers to her question'. Much to the skepticism of both her and Y/N who continues watching the two.

Maya finally steps inside it, before Flip closes it and starts reciting what sounded like a spell being cast.

Flip: Behold the mysteries of the meadow as I transform Maya! You say ci-cay-da, I say ci-cah-da!

He finally pulls the flower off of a dizzy Maya, who snaps out of it when she realizes she's still her usual self.

Maya: Hey, I'm still the same...