Chapter 10

Both Maya and Y/N sit on a leaf resting atop the pond, staring off at the sunset. Y/N had looked down to his right at Maya as she continued smiling at the sun and smiled lightly himself. At least Maya seemed to have finally been cheering up after the whole hornet ordeal. Behind them, Flip was saying his goodbyes to the other bugs while Willy took notice of the duo. With a light smile, he makes his way over to them and lands next to Maya.

Willy: There ya are, Maya! C'mon, Flip is ready to take us home!

Y/N glances at Willy with a neutral expression. Earlier, he would've been relieved at finally no longer having to look after these two once he handed them over to Flip. And yet, he couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness in him. This was essentially the end of the journey for them, just as he was starting to warm up to Willy and especially Maya.

At the same time, though, he knew it was the right thing for them to return to the hive. They'll be safer there, surrounded by people who will look after them. At least, he hoped so.

Maya: I'm already home, Willy.

Y/N and Willy both look at her in surprise and confusion respectively.

Willy: Here? In the meadow?

Maya: This is where I belong.

Willy: With 'Stink Bug' and his smelly, stinky hornets?

Maya: No, with all bugs!

Willy looks at Maya in disappointment and sadness.

Willy: All bugs except for me, huh?

Maya: Don't be cross! I'll visit you!

Willy: Why would you visit boring old Willy in his boring old hive when you've got all this?

He gestures out to the pond and rest of the meadow, while Y/N grows an uneasy feeling with how Willy was taking the news.

Willy: I put my stinger on the line for you, and this is how you thank me?

Maya: But, Willy...

Willy: With all your new bug friends, I guess you won't need poor old Willy anymore.

Maya tries to comfort him by placing a hand on his back, while Y/N stands back up and watches the two.

Maya: Don't be silly! You can stay here with me and Y/N!

Willy completely ignores her suggestion as he continues on with his sorrowful words.

Willy: There's an old bee saying: 'You can always count on a friend.' But I guess I got that one wrong, too!

In tears, he takes off and leaves Maya and Y/N behind, despite them calling out to him.

Maya: Willy!

Y/N: Kid, come back!

Y/N groans softly before looking down at a sniffling Maya, feeling that tinge of sadness again poking at his heart. As the wind picks up and buffers against her, Y/N slowly shields her from it before picking her up in his arms to hug her. Maya is surprised, before whimpering and pressing her head against his body. Y/N simply ruffles up her hair gently while calming her down.

Y/N: Easy, kid, easy. We ain't just gonna let him go off on his own this late at night. C'mon, let's find Flip and ask for his help.

His wings flutter quickly as he hovers back onto solid ground, carrying Maya and making sure the wind wasn't hitting her as they search for Flip. Back with the hornets, Hank and Sting arrive near their camp before the former has a talk with the latter.

Hank: Son, I know you think you like that bee. But she's twisted your thoughts.

Sting: But Dad, bees aren't all-