Chapter 5

In a classroom, Kassandra hovers in front of several eager children ready to learn about the meadow. All except one child, however. A sleepy bee snoring loudly next to his peers, much to their annoyance. Despite this, Kassandra continues with her lesson.

Kassandra: The meadow isn't all sunshine and flowers. There are many dangers too. Like hornets.

The sheer mention of hornets is enough to snap the sleeping bee awake, as he screams in sheer terror and zooms around the room wildly. His foot and head get trapped in flower jars as he runs around the room, as all the other kids laugh at him.

Dozing Bee: Hornets! Run for your life! Hide!!

He then runs into the wall, getting knocked back before landing on his bum. He lifts the flower petals out of his face, only to be greeted by a drawing of an evil looking hornet. Which is quickly lifted out of sight much to his confusion.

Dozing Bee: What was that?

As the other kids continue laughing at him, Kassandra helps the young boy out of his predicament while talking to him.

Kassandra: Oh Willy, how are you ever gonna recognize a hornet if you're asleep during my classes?

Willy: Me? No, no, no. That was just my eyes. They take a break sometimes.

As Willy tries to defend himself, the sound of Maya singing garners his and everyone else's attention. Maya walks into the room, with Buzzlina right behind her before she reprimands her.

Buzzlina: Stop that infernal racket! Bees don't sing!

Maya: But why?

Buzzlina: Because singing leads to playing, and playing leads to laziness. And a lazy bee, ooh! Gorgo the bee-munching hedge-monster just loves lazy bees.

As Buzzlina gestures out towards the visible hedge that lies beyond the window, the other kids in the room are frightened by her warning. Kassandra, however, is quick to ease the tension.

Kassandra: Thank you for that colorful description. We've been expecting you, Maya.

Maya: Maya?

Kassandra: Well of course. That's your name.

Maya smiles brightly as she realizes she has her own name as well.

Maya: Really? Maya...I like that! Maya. Maya! Maya the Bee!

As the other kids laugh, Buzzlina growls as she steps forward to reprimand her once again before being stopped by Kassandra. She nervously laughs before addressing Maya again.

Kassandra: Come along, little one. Take a seat. Now then, a word Buzzlina.

Maya quickly finds a spot, right next to Willy who is surprised and backs away slightly as she leans towards him.

Willy: What are you doing?

Maya: Sitting next to you?

Willy: But, nobody ever sits next to me...I mean, excellent choice, Maya! I'm Willy. Stick with me. I know lots of things. This is my third First Flight coming up, you know?

Maya: Wow, you must know everything!

As Maya stares at Willy in awe, he blinks his eyes as he looks back at her.

Willy: You're not like any other bee I've met.

Maya: Ugh, I keep hearing that...

Willy: No, no, no! I meant that in a good way! We can be First Flight buddies.

Maya: Ooh, I'd like that! Miss Teaching Bee, when do we go on our first flight?

Buzzlina is quick to scold Maya, however, as she steps towards her.