Dinner Invitation

"Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself?" As the person says and started to bend down to look as if I hurt myself.

When I realized that it was my brother, I relaxed a little and called my brother's name, "I... I am fine, brother...sigh* just knock my knees on the table."

After saying that, I started to rub my knees to show Alex that I didn't hurt myself hard. Alex sighed and stood up before saying, "Where is your mind Mc? I called you twice but you didn't even listen."

I looked up at him and said, "Just checking an important email brother...so I might not have heard when you called me."

Alex gave me a look that said 'I doubt your words' but didn't say anything else. So I tactically changed the topic to breakfast.

"Brother, did you have your breakfast?" Alex looked at me and sighed before saying, "Not yet, princess."

I smiled and said, "Then let's order something first."

Alex smiled slightly and sat down. While I pick up the menu and slide it to Alex. He took it happily and started to look through it.

After looking for a minute, Alex called the waiter for our order. As a girl came to take our order. She looked at Alex and blushed before asking for our order. I looked at Alex and raised my eyebrows, in response, he just shrugged his shoulders. I shake my head in amusement.

After ordering our food, Alex leaned back in his chair in a relaxed manner and asked straightforwardly like always, "So princess... sigh* do you know that you almost became a criminal partner?"

I didn't say anything and took a sip of my coffee. Alex looked at me with a sigh before leaning forward and saying, "Fine I won't ask... Mc but... look..." as he was going to nag, the waiter came back with our order.

After the waiter left, Alex picked up his coffee and started drinking. I took a peek at Alex and sighed before saying, "See Alex... I know that you are worried about me...and I... I was kind of wrong about not telling you about it too but..."

Alex cut me off and said, "Mc do you know why am I angry at you?"

I looked at Alex and shook my head. As he continued, "Because you put yourself in the fire for someone you don't know."

I lowered my head and didn't say anything. While Alex sighed and said, "Mc you are my sister so I know what kind of person you're but... I just don't understand why..."

This time I cut off Alex and said, "Because... I got curious at the beginning... When Hannah... the missing girl sends my number I get curious about it... then slowly they become my friends too and I..."

Alex asked, "And what about the hacker?"

I blinked my eyes and said, "I don't know much about him." sorry Alex but I don't want to take any risk for Jake's safety.

Alex looked at me, trying to read me but at last, he gave up and started to ask me causal questions like how I got involved in all of this which I answered leaving out the part of the role Jake is playing in all of this.

Alex sighed knowing all and said, "So at all last, it was all because of their own guilt towards the dead girl."

I nodded and he continued, "And what about your number?"

I said, "I don't know... I mean... I haven't met Hannah yet."

Alex just nodded and asked, "So where are you staying?"

I replied, "Hannah's sister's house." as I look at my phone before saying, "Well, I am thinking of visiting Hannah today. Do you want to join me, brother?"

Alex just shakes his head before saying, "Forget it, I am going back to the motel and taking a nap. I didn't get a good sleep on the plane."

I nodded and said, "Ok then"

...

After that, we paid our bills, and just as we came out of the Rainbow cafe we met Celo and an elderly lady in her 50s. I instantly recognized the elderly lady as she was the one who helped Jake that day and called me.

As Celo looked at me and then at Alex, I asked her, "What are you doing here Celo?"

Celo looked at me and said with a smile, "Well, I am heading toward the hospital to meet Hannah. But I thought of buying something for Hannah and Dan. You know, hospitals' food sucks...ah and Mom it's Mc, Mc, my mom."

I smiled and said, "Nice to meet you, Miranda. Celo talks a lot about you and this is my brother Alex."

Alex nodded politely and Miranda smiled kindly before saying, "I remember. You are the girl that picks that young man. How is he now? He looked so sick that day."

With Miranda's questions, Alex looked at me with a questioning look. I ignore Alex's looks and smile before saying, "He is fine now. Thanks for that day, Miranda."

Miranda shakes her hand and says, "It's fine, Mc you don't have to thank me, darling."

I smiled, as Celo went to buy food for Hannah and Dan. While we talked for a while.

As Celo came back, I told her that I was also going to the hospital too. So Celo and I decided to go together.

Hearing that we are leaving, at last Miranda invites Alex and me for dinner tonight.

Miranda smiled at me and Alex before saying, "Oh dear... I want to talk more with you, why don't you come to our house for tonight's dinner."

I looked at Celo who looked at me curiously, so I turned to look at Alex, who looked at me with a smile and said to Miranda, "Well... I have no plans."

I smiled and said, "Then sorry for the trouble tonight, Miranda."

"It's no trouble, Dear," Miranda told me and turned to look at Celo while saying, "You enjoy with Mc, I go and prepare for tonight."

With that, Miranda left happily. I looked at Celo who shook her head and said, "Hope you don't mind... she is a little dramatic."

Alex chuckled and said, "It's fine."

Celo looks at me and Alex before saying, "My car is there, let's go then."

I nodded before turning to Alex and said, "Then I go with Celo, brother. Call me if you need anything."

Alex smiled and like always ruffled my hair a little to which, I slapped his hand angrily, he chuckled and said, "Alright, princess. Then I go and take a nap. See ya." With that Alex left and I just shook my head with a smile before we walked toward Celo's car.