𝟐𝟖

Y/n and Yor were left to stand in the cabin together in silence, simply staring at one another. Yor was covered in blood, and there was no excuse for her to use this time... but, oddly enough, y/n didn't seem bothered in the slightest.

She simply held Yor's gaze, quietly awaiting an answer. Scrutinizing, cold, and guarded.

Nothing like the warm e/c eyes belonging to the woman the assassin had come to love and adore just as much as she did her younger brother.

For a moment, Yor hardly recognized y/n.

"Well? Why did you do it?" y/n asked again, tone cold yet riddled with something bitter. Uncertainty? Grief?

"Why did I do it?" Yor echoed, her expression becoming nervous, "Do... what? I'm not sure what you're talking about..." 'Oh no... she most definitely knows! I'm sure I can find a way to keep it a secret—!'

Y/n raised a brow before sighing.
"Thorn Princess."

"H-Huh?"

"Thorn Princess." y/n repeated, "A Garden assassin. You take care of the filth in this country, all for the sake of making it a better... safer place. Isn't that right, Yor?"

The assassin blinked, an immediately her expression became one of disbelief, 'Oh no, she knows! What's she going to do now? Tell Yuri? Ohhh... what if Loid finds out? What will happen then?'

Yor's internal panic swiftly came to an end, cut off by y/n's next few words, "Your job is an honorable one. Difficult, but definitely for the betterment of Ostania. But..." the assassin watched her sister in law's brows furrow, "Why my brother?"

Brother? What did she mean?
Yor knew y/n had once had a brother.

She didn't speak of him often, but Yor did know that he'd died three years ago some time after y/n and Yuri had begun dating. Y/n was careful about what she said about her brother, she was always very secretive about her family, but it was clear that her brother's death was always lingering in her mind.

"What about your brother? I don't..." Yor's voice trailed off, 'Was her brother one of my clients? But I don't remember killing anyone who looks like y/n, but what if they didn't look similar? Ohh... please don't tell me I killed my sister in law's brother!'

"Achille Leone. Does that name ring any bells?" y/n demanded, "The man you poisoned and left to die right in front of his own son!"

See now Yor couldn't say she hadn't poisoned anyone because she'd most definitely done so before. The name Achille Leone did ring bells, but she hadn't killed him!

Despite the less than favorable path he'd walked, he was someone the Garden assassins were instructed to never lay hands on. So, naturally, there was no way she could've killed him *directly*.

And she didn't kill him. Directly or indirectly.
She was certain that she hadn't killed him!
Absolutely certain! A hundred percent!

"Y/n, I didn't kill that man!"

"Oh? And what reason do I have to believe you?"

"I do recognize the name Achille Leone because it belonged to one of the people which Garden assassins were ordered to never bring harm to!" Yor protested, "I know it may be difficult to believe a word I'm saying, especially with how I look right now and the fact that I haven't told you I'm an assassin, but I'd never kill someone who didn't deserve it!"