3. Motive

'Cause I see you tryin', subliminally tryin'

To see if I'm gon' be the one to sing along

I admit it's exciting, parts of me kinda like it

But before I lead you on

Tell me what's your motive? 

4. Motive 

It has only been a week or so since their conversation in the common house's room and Sirius has dedicated all his time into convincing Lyra into being friends with him. Something about the way she said " We could never break the chain" made him even more determined to prove to her that they can. And much to Lyra's dismay, she knows he's right but that would mean she's wrong. She hates being wrong, but at some point she's going to give in. She just hasn't really reached that point yet. 

She walked into Potions only to stop in her tracks. Snape was seated next to Peter. She frowned and looked around. The whole classroom has been moved around. There's a new seating arrangement. She usually doesn't have a problem with wherever she's seated so she started walking to Slughorn's table. " Miss White you'll be over there. " Slughorn spoke before she could reach him. He pointed to the table in front of Remus and Dorcas Meadowes where Sirius sat, acting as if he didn't notice her. She turned back to Slughorn. 

" Professor, isn't there any way for me to - " 

" I'm sorry Ms. White but nothing is going to work this time." This wasn't the first time he has put them together on the seating chart but needles to say, Lyra is very persuasive. 

" But - " 

" I've made up my mind." he gave her a smile, a slightly mischievous spark in his eyes. While she lazily walked to the table with her back turned to him, Slughorn gave Sirius a wink as Sirius mouthed a quick 'thanks'. 

She sat down, trying to focus on the voice of Slughorn telling them about the varieties of venom antidotes. Sirius slowly scooted closer to her, trying to be as subtle as possible. 

" What are you doing?" she said still looking forward. 

" Nothing. Just trying to get comfortable. " he cleared his throat. 

It was half way through the class and Lyra still hasn't said a word, quietly taking notes as Sirius sat there trying to think of something to say. He opened his mouth to speak but Lily turned around from in front of them and started talking to her. 

" Save me. " she gave her a pleading look. Lyra was too focused on not talking to Sirius to even notice that Lily was seated with James. She let out a little snort that earned her a glare from Lily. " It's not funny. I'm really suffering here. " 

" Sure you are." she wiggled her eyebrows at her. 

"Switch with me!" She whisper yelled. 

" We can switch when-" she was agreeing but she felt a stare and turned to Sirius. 

He was sitting there just looking at her with his hand holding his quill as it hovered over the parchment. He didn't say anything but it was clear in his eyes that he didn't want her to. He knew by the look on her face that she was going to agree and switch places with Lily so he turned and looked down at his parchment.

" I'm afraid we'll just have to suffer together Lils." She whispered back. " Slughorn already knows where we sit and I don't think he's going to forget anytime soon. "