13. Bad dream

Wake me up 

I wanna feel the sun 

Caught in a bad dream 

13. Bad dream

It has been almost two months since Halloween. Christmas break was a day away. Lyra, unlike most, wasn't exactly excited to go back home. And even though they all did a good job of hiding it, neither were most of her Slytherin friends.

Over the span of a month and a half, a lot has happened. For starters, there was a new Ministry of Magic. Harold Minchum. He was said to be competent and a great leader, but it's only been a couple of weeks since he's been elected, and things already don't seem to be going well.

At Hogwarts however, Lyra has been having a great time hanging out with her friends and getting closer to some Slytherins that she never bothered to get to know, like Evan Rosier, Mulciber, Avery, and even Barty Crouch Jr. She never thought she would actually like their company considering their friendship with Severus Snape and their extreme love for the dark arts and blood purity. But the closer they got, the more they hung out and the more they got to know each other, the more tolerable and surprisingly likable they became.

Dorcas seems to fit into their now not-so-little little group perfectly. Regulus has started spending less and less time alone, which makes Lyra really happy. Amara and Evgenia are inseparable as ever, usually seen holding hands, Amara sitting on Evgenia any chance she can get, if not making out as Regulus complains and Veeda shushes him.

Rosier seems to have recovered from his father's death pretty well. He and Barty, Lyra noticed, seem to be very close. Almost closer than Avery and Mulciber. Evan seems his happiest when he's with Barty. Lyra had wondered if they were even more than friends a couple of times she saw them leaning against each other, but she told herself to stop making assumptions and shook it off.

Pandora Leventis, a Ravenclaw in their year had also joined their group. She was friends with Regulus first, but after meeting everyone else, they all just got along very well. The eleven of them would hang out under the tree near the black lake. They don't stay in the Slytherin common room as much anymore because they want Pandora to be with them. It also helped that Pandora loved to go swimming in the lake. Even though most of them didn't like to swim in the cold water filled with creatures underneath, they would never let her swim alone. Lyra, Regulus, Dorcas, and Avery usually swim with her since they don't mind the water as much. Veeda never goes swimming because she doesn't want to get her Hijab wet, so nobody pressures her.

There have been multiple occasions where Snape would angrily stomp over, trying to regroup his 'gang'. Sometimes Avery and Mulciber would comply and go with him. When asked why, they would claim they felt bad for him. Other times he would just stomp back to the castle with no one beside him.

The marauders had tried to make them move from the tree multiple times by trying to Jinx them or splash them with water claiming it was their spot. They stopped after a very serious talk with Lyra and Dorcas.

Speaking of the marauders, they've made it very clear that they disapprove of Lyra's friend group. They have even gotten harsher with the pranks. About two weeks before Christmas break, explosions were heard in the Slytherin dorms in the middle of the night while the students were sleeping. Three students from the boy's dorms and five from the girls got injured. Lyra, Barty, Evan, and Chelsea were some of the injured along with a couple of others. Though most of the injured recovered in a day or two, Lyra had to stay for a whole week. The explosive in their dorm, soon revealed by Slughorn to be a small bottle of exploding potion, was placed directly under her bed. When it exploded, she was blown up, breaking through the top of her four-poster bed and smashing into the stone ceiling. She then broke through her bed when she smashed down to the floor. She was unconscious for 3 days.