14. Big white room

I don't wanna be here anymore
I wanna be somewhere else
Normal and free, like I used to be
But I have to stay in this big white room
With little old me

14. Big white room 

In the sacred corridors of a mansion painted entirely in spotless white, Lyra White's uneasiness festered like a whispered secret among the magnificence of the setting. 

Her family's fortune has enveloped them in opulence, but the enormous rooms with stark white walls felt like a suffocating cocoon of luxury that had imprisoned her. The pristine exterior of the mansion echoed with a ghostly silence that was more profound than the whispered chatter at all the grand dinner parties these walls have seen. It was not a material luxury that unnerved Lyra. It is not the unyielding whiteness that surrounded her that terrified her most, but rather what lived within it. With her. 

" Mistress White wishes to see you, Mistress" Woody bowed. 

" Thanks, Woody. I'll be there in a minute. " Lyra said as she quickly got off her bed. She approached her mirror with measured grace, delicately attending to the arrangement of her white linen dress, ensuring that no wrinkle betrayed its pristine appearance. Petite emerald flowers were adoring the cuffs, meticulously sewn during an afternoon that unfolded amidst the ennui of idleness. She tied her hair in a low ponytail and took a deep breath before walking out the door. 

Going down the marble stairs at a leisurely pace, Lyra sensed the coolness beneath her feet. As she descended the final step, she proceeded through the extended hallway that guided her to a grand golden gate. Upon her arrival, it swung open, granting her passage and exposing a brilliantly illuminated room featuring an expansive gold dining table positioned centrally, directly facing the entrance. Adorning the table were precisely seven long, white candles, lit solely for ornamental purposes.

At the one end of the table sat a blond woman with a piercing stare. She was already looking at Lyra before the gate was even fully open. The light from the chandelier made her look even paler than usual, Lyra thought. Her neat low bun looked shiny in the bright room. She sat elegantly with her back fully pressed against the throne-like chair and her hands resting on her lap. There was an opened envelope and what seemed to be a letter on the table in front of her.

At the opposite end of the table, a man with a dark complexion sported a snow-white beard. His lengthy white locs resembled braided cotton, creating a distinctive appearance. Amber eyes tracked Lyra's movements as she entered, coming to a standstill near the table's center with her hands clasped behind her back.

" You wished to see me, Mother?" she asked. 

" Pack your bags." Her voice was soft yet her words were firm. 

" What?" Lyra frowned.

" You're going to the Potter's. You're spending Christmas break there." 

" But-" She swallowed trying to keep her tone from changing. Keeping it from sounding like she cares. " But I just got here. I haven't even unpacked yet." 

" Then the sooner you will leave!" Her voice suddenly got louder. 

" Dad, " She turned to the man who hadn't taken his eyes off of his daughter with a small smile. "It's gonna be Christmas soon. We have our -" 

" Your father agrees." her mother smiles at her. " He agrees. You should go." 

" But-"  

"Now. " The blonde looked up at Lyra. 

Lyra knew that look all too well. Nothing good happens after that look. Her eyes drifted to her mother's hands only to see that she was gripping her wand as she kept eye contact.