15. Dogs On The Run

When we laid our blankets on the ground 

Yeah and I woke up feelin' hungry

Looking straight into the sun, and left a cold night on the ground 

Like a dog on the run 

15. Dogs On The Run

The wand aimed directly at her chest brushed against her necklace. The tall figure behind it adjusted his glasses and narrowed his eyes, scanning her from head to toe.

"Lyra?" he questioned, tilting his head slightly as he gradually lowered his wand. Standing there, he attempted to confirm if it was indeed who he suspected. Meanwhile, two heads timidly emerged from behind the door. Lyra blinked repeatedly, struggling to identify them, her vision blurred by the relentless downpour and strands of hair clinging to her face.

"What do you mean by 'Lyra'? I only just sent the letter; the owl hasn't even returned yet," a voice exclaimed, drawing nearer. Euphemia Potter appeared from behind the tall man, a book in one hand and reading glasses dangling from her neck. Casting a glance past her husband, her eyes widened in surprise.

" Hi." Lyra squinted. " Sorry I can't see ver-"

" OH, DARLING, LET HER IN FOR MERLIN'S SAKE!" she shouted, throwing her book to the side and pushing past Fleamont Potter to pull Lyra into the house. 

" Oh, you're soaked," she said, embracing the shivering girl in a hug. 

Lyra's mind was blank, devoid of thought or awareness. She wasn't observing, and she certainly wasn't paying attention to anything around her. Mrs. Potter was giving orders but everything was muffled to Lyra as she embraced that hug. It was the embrace she had yearned for since childhood, one that exuded the essence of home, safety, and love. While she was no stranger to hugs, often sharing them freely with friends, this one was distinct. In Lyra's world, it is the greatest hug to ever exist in the history of hugs.  

Euphemia gently released herself from the embrace, offering a soft smile to the taller girl. With a delicate gesture, she brushed aside the strands of hair clinging to Lyra's face and dabbed at the water in her eyes using a small towel handed to her by her son who was now standing next to his mother, looking at Lyra with worry. 

"Come on let's get you warmed up." She said as she led Lyra to the couch in front of the fireplace, with James closely following them. She sat her on the couch and shouted looking across the room, " Sirius, get my wand too, please. It's on the nightstand." 

A loud "Yup" was heard from upstairs. Meanwhile, Lyra was trying to make sure she heard that right. 

Sirius?  she thought incredulously. She can't possibly be referring to Sirius Black. He couldn't be here. His parents would never allow him to visit another household, especially not during Christmas. And they certainly wouldn't approve of him coming to the Potters' household. James must have a cousin or some other family member. 

She could hear the quick footsteps coming down the stairs. She stared into the fireplace as the person got closer and closer to her. Their hand reached over her to give Mrs. Potter her wand.

" Would you take off your sweater dear, that would take a while to properly dry. " Euphemia smiled at her. 

"Of course," Lyra replied with a smile. She rose from her seat and peeled off her thick white sweater, revealing her damp white dress. James averted his gaze swiftly. Mrs. Potter aimed her wand at Lyra, who instantly felt a comforting warmth enveloping her. "Thank you," she expressed with a grateful smile.