Chapter 23: Trouble in Paradise

Anuj was sitting in his room and was looking outside. The phone rang in the living room and Ankush picked up the phone.

Ankush: Anuj! Neeche aa!

Anuj came down lazily. He didn't want to come but he had to. He came down and sat on the sofa nearby.

Anuj: Kya hua?

Ankush: tumhare dost ka phone hai India se. Lo baat karo!

Anuj: Kaun hai?

Ankush: Koi Anupama hai..

Anuj: Anupama!

His eyes lit up and all of a sudden he became all energetic. He quickly sprang up from the sofa and ran towards Ankush and snatched the phone from him and turned his back towards him.

Anuj: He..hello..

Anupama: Anuj..

Anuj felt a wave of happiness travel accross his body. He had heard Anupama's voice after such a long time! Anuj turned back and saw Ankush still standing behind him. Anuj tried to make Ankush go away so he could talk in privacy.

Anuj: Ankush bhai, vo mujhe paani chahiye..

Ankush: Ha toh yeh lo..

There was a jug of water along with an empty glass kept next to the landline. Ankush took out water from it and gave it to Anuj. Anuj took the water and smiled forcefully.

Anuj: Thank you..

Ankush looked at Anuj for a while and then laughed.

Ankush: Yeh chahte ho ki mai yaha se chala jau taki tum privacy me baat karo?

Anuj: (under his breath) Ha..

Ankush: Kya?!

Anuj: Mera matlab hai nahi..matlab ha.. matlab!

Ankush: Jaata hu! Jaata hu! Anuj seedhe hi bol dete ki jao yaha se mujhe privacy me baat karni hai!

Anuj: Woh aisa kuch nahi hai bhai..

But before he could complete his sentence Ankush had already left. Anuj looked around to see if anyone else was there or not. Seeing the coast clear, he kept the receiver on his ear.

Anuj: Anupama..

Devika: Anu nahi Devika!

Anuj: Devika!

Devika: Anuj tumne itna time laga diya ki bechari Anu yaha se chali gayi!

Anuj: Oh..woh kya kare ghar ke log jaa hi nahi rahe the! Ab dekho na aaram se baat karne ke liye toh thoda privacy chahiye na!

Devika started laughing. Anuj could hear some noise from behind her, he thought it might be her family.

Devika: Anu! Aa jaa! Le apne Anuj se baat kar!

Anuj: Anupama!

Anuj's was suddenly lit up and on the other hand, Anupama's face was red she came and took the receiver from Devika and slightly pushed Devika away indicating her to leave. Devika laughed and left from there.

Anupama: Anuj..

Anuj: Anupama..

There was a short period of silence, but the silence wasn't awkward silence, it was a silence which conveyed their satisfaction of hearing each other's voice after a long time.

Anupama: Anuj, kab aa rahe ho wapis?

Anuj: kuch din aur baki hai, Jai hi ghar wapis aaunga tumse milunga..mera matlab hai tum dono se milunga..tum se aur Devika se!