Chapter 4: Small talk

Daphne came to the dining room for some breakfast. Three of the Silver Paw members, Kitty, Katie, and Pandy were currently cooking breakfast for everyone.

The female was unsure whether to tell someone about the dream she had last night. Especially to Pony, Zee, or Zuzy. To be honest, Daphne's emotions almost got the best of her when she spoke to Zizzy in that dream.  She sat down at one of the tables, thinking of what to do next. On top of that, Daphne had another issue to think about.

"Breakfast is ready, everyone! Dig in!" Daphne then immediately heard Katie's voice and decided to eat. She would think about this later.  She hummed softly, satisfied with the breakfast that was given to her. Again, she began to hear conversations among everyone else, but she didn't bother to do anything. She mostly listened to them.

She was glad that the members of the Silver Paw had gotten along well with her friends. It was a pleasant sight to see in her opinion.  Once breakfast was done, everyone left the room to do their own thing. But what could Daphne do at the moment?  Daphne then decided to head back upstairs to the room she was staying in. She didn't know what else to do at the moment.  She stood in the middle of the room for a few seconds before a knock on the door was heard. She immediately turned around and went to get the door.

"Daphne? Can I talk to you?"  Daphne had a slightly surprised look on her face. It was Willow. Why would she suddenly want to talk to her?  "Um... sure," Daphne replied awkwardly, as she stepped back, holding the door open, and letting Willow inside her room.  The interactions that Daphne had with Willow were... a bit awkward. At first, Daphne held a slight grudge against the wolf because of what she had gotten Zizzy through.

But now that Willow was on the good side and the human girl learning her motives, Daphne felt slightly indifferent. Nowadays, Willow was like a serious and protective leader of her group, nothing more. It surprised Daphne, however.  "What did you want to talk to me about exactly?" Daphne asked as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Look Daphne, I know our interactions with each other have been... messy." Willow began, making Daphne stare in confusion."But now that we're on the same team, I want to get to know you personally. I hope you can give me a chance to get to know you and your friends."

Daphne paused for a moment. Why was she hesitant about this? She was usually open to making new friends.  But then again, she had been keeping an eye on everyone. She knew that Willow was just trying to protect her family.  "I'll give you a chance. I can understand the intentions that you've had before." Daphne replied, nodding slowly.  Willow smiled slightly at the female and nodded once more. She was slightly relieved that the officer could give her a chance to speak.

"You're an understanding one, Daphne. Thank you."  Daphne smiled back softly and nodded quickly. She moved over a little so Willow could sit down next to her.  "So, Daphne, is there anything you want to tell me about yourself?" Willow asked her.  "Well..." Daphne began and thought for a moment about what to say.

The two of them started to talk, and surprisingly, they both got along rather well. They both may have different interests, but both of them respected that.  Willow then suddenly asked one question that caught Daphne's attention. She was curious to see how the human female would answer this.  "Say, Daphne... do you have any siblings? Or a family you had?"  Daphne nodded quickly. She remembered the family she was born and raised in.

"I do. I have my parents and a twin sister." She replied.  "Oh, so you have a sibling too. What's her name?" Willow then asked.  "Her name is Delilah. She's older than me by a few minutes. Sadly, she isn't with me right now." Daphne stated, sighing softly.  "Not with you? What do you mean by that?" Willow questioned once more.

"When I was younger, I moved places a lot with my parents and my sister. We moved to Lucella eventually sometime a few years ago. When summer came around, we had to move again. But I had my job as a police officer here, so my family moved away without me while I stayed here."  Willow stayed silent for a moment before speaking up. She felt like she needed to ask this.

"Daphne? I want to ask you something. I don't know you for very long, but you said you moved to Lucella when you were sixteen, right? Where did you live before you moved?"  Daphne pondered for a moment over that question. That was a tough question to answer.  "In this town called Robloxia.  It's somewhat of a big town, but it's a nice place."  Daphne had begun.  "I've had good memories there, but I moved to Lucella eventually."  She had stated.  Willow frowned slightly at her answer. She then tilted her head to the side.  "Why did you move exactly?"

"Mainly for my parent's jobs."

"Ah, I see.  Were you enjoying your time before... the outbreak began?"

"Yeah, I did.  Everyone was very welcoming despite me being a human."

The two of them were running out of things to talk about.  However, Willow had quickly spoken up.  "Hey, how old are you anyway?  You look a lot older than you look.  No offense."  Daphne had shrugged a little.  She got that a lot, but she was used to it at this point.  

"None taken.  I'm actually the youngest adult in the Safe Place."

Willow's eyes widened in complete shock.  "Wait, are you serious?  I thought you were the same age as Pony or that zebra."  Daphne had chuckled a little, then slowly shaking her head, closing her eyes.  "Actually, I'm only two years younger than them."

(If you're curious about how old everyone is, then let me know)

Willow then crossed her arms.  A small smile then came on her face.  "And yet, you're the one who takes a stand the most out of everyone else.  I'm impressed."

"Honestly, I was a bit nervous.  But I guess it's something that my instincts tell me to do when no one's willing to take a stand."  Willow had chuckled a little, shaking her head, as Daphne had done earlier.

"Is that why Pony and the others treat you like a baby?"  Daphne then sighed quietly.  She then quickly looked away.  "I'm not a baby..."

"Well, you did say you were the youngest adult."

"Good point.  But I'm still an adult."

"No wonder your friends worry so much about you."  Willow had stated, shrugging a little.  Daphne then quickly shook her head.  "Alright, alright.  Now you're pushing it."  Willow had laughed a little.  However, Daphne had chuckled in response along with her.  The two of them kept on talking for the next few hours.  Daphne or Willow didn't admit it to each other, but they were slowly enjoying each other's company.

"So, are there any hobbies you like doing outside of you being an officer?"  Willow thought about it for a few moments.  Daphne had nodded slowly.  "Yeah.  I used to do track and field in school.  I can also sing and play the guitar."  Hearing that, made Willow have a surprised look on her face.  "I've never heard you sing before.  I'm impressed."  Daphne then shrugged a little.

"Well, I'm just a little shy to do so.  I sadly don't my guitar with me so I can't do anything about it."  Before Willow had begun to get off topic some more, she then turned to Daphne.  "Ah, I forgot, Pandy needs me for something.  I'll have to get going now.  I'll see you around."  Willow then stood up, then walking towards the door.  She then waves at Daphne, the human returning the wave with a small smile.  

As the wolf left the room, Daphne had paused for a moment.  The small smile remained on her face.

"Huh... that wasn't so bad."