Chapter 12: Her story

"Daphne?"

Daphne looked up from what she was doing.  She didn't even hear her door open.  She was reading a book at the moment.  At the door, it was Georgie, Zee, and Zuzy.  What did the younger ones want?

"Hm?  What's up?"  Daphne asked, closing the book, and putting it on the bedside table.  "Why are you not sleeping?"  Zuzy asked, as she shut Daphne's door.  "I don't feel like it... there's a lot of things on my mind right now."  Daphne replied quietly, looking away from the three of them.

"Really?  Like what?"  Georgie asked curiously.  The younger ones sat down on the floor, staring at the female.  Daphne shrugged slightly.  She didn't know how to exactly say this.  "Well... I haven't told anyone this.  I know everyone's story and how they got here.  But now, I want to tell someone my story."

Zee, Zuzy, and Georgie looked at each other in curiosity.  "Your story?"  Zuzy asked curiously.  "Yeah... on how I got here."  Daphne replied.  "I'm just not sure if you three would understand." When Daphne said that, Zuzy rolled her eyes a little, as if she looked a little annoyed.

"Come on, Daphne.  We're young, but we've been in this infection for a long time.  I think us three can understand what's going on around us."  Zuzy stated, crossing her arms.  Daphne paused for a moment.  She then sighed once more.  "True.  We've been in this infection for almost a year."  She said, looking over at the window.  She took a deep breath and then spoke once more.

"You all know I used to be a police officer, right?"  The two zebras, and the pig looked at each other for a few moments. Zee nodded slowly. However, she raised an eyebrow in curiosity though. Why did Daphne mention this?  "Yeah?  Why?"  Zuzy asked softly, tilting her head to the side."

Well, I was first at Georgie's house to investigate his disappearance.  All of a sudden, I was knocked out.  I was stuck in the house for a while with an infected person on my tail for about ten minutes, until I got out."

"Wait, who was in the house besides you?"  Georgie asked.  Daphne took a deep breath.  She wasn't sure whether to say it or not.  "It... it was your sister, Penny."  Georgie's eyes widened for a second.  But then, his eyes softened afterwards.

"I knew she was infected, but I didn't know she was on your tail the whole time..."  He mumbled.

"I know... I was surprised too.  I eventually escaped and went to the station.  That's when I ran into my friend, Doggy.  You know, one of the new survivors that just came here today."  Daphne stated.  "Wait, then who's the other survivor?  Do you know her?"  Zuzy asked.

"I'll get to that in a bit.  Anyways, Doggy and I escaped from another infected that was lurking in the station.  Where we saw another infected..."  Daphne muttered under her breath.  She then turned to Georgie, a worried look on her face.  Georgie frowned at Daphne and crossed his arms.

"Don't tell me... is it... another one of my family members?"  He had asked, looking away from the female. Zee glanced at Georgie, a worried look on her face. She then placed a hand on his shoulder.  Daphne stared at the pig and sighed softly.  She knew he was still a young boy, but she knew well not to hurt him.

"Yes.  It was your mother... and when Doggy and I escaped to the gallery, we ran into your father..."  Georgie frowned even more at that moment. Zee did as well, knowing how heartbreaking this was to hear.

"I want to see my mother, father, and sister again.  And my grandma.  I want to see her too.  I truly miss them all..."  He mumbled.  Daphne placed a hand on her own chest, her heart breaking at the sight of him being sad. Zee now had a sad look on her face, understanding how Georgie had felt.  "I'm sorry Georgie... if you want, I'll stop telling you, my story."  Daphne said.  Georgie immediately shook his head.