Chapter 5: Selfish?

Daphne stood alone in the room, wondering what to do next.  A frown then came on her face, as she slowly crossed her arms.

For the past few nights, there was something on her mind. Something that had returned to her head for a while now.  However, she didn't know how to tell anyone about this. She wasn't sure who to tell either.  She opened the door, now outside of her room. Daphne then began walking around the halls, in her thoughts.

It was currently nighttime, and everyone had just eaten dinner. So, Daphne didn't really know what to do with her time at the moment.  She continued walking around the hallways for a few more minutes. Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

"Daphne? Hey, wait up!"

Daphne immediately turned around once more, seeing Pony running up to her. Seeing her friend, a smile came on her face.  "Hey Pony. I was hoping you'd be here." Daphne stated, chuckling.  "Same to you. Were you thinking about something again?"

"Yeah, I was. I'm just trying to think of what to do next."

"Oh, I see. Do you want to walk around the hall and talk about it?"

"Sure, I don't mind."  The two of them began walking together in the halls. Daphne then spoke up, knowing that she would have to tell someone about this eventually.  "Pony... I want to tell you something. I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I'm just not sure whether to tell anyone else about this." Daphne stated. That made Pony confused at this point.  "What do you mean? Is there something you've been hiding?"

"No, not really. I planned to tell Willow about this earlier today, but I didn't have the time to.  I wasn't sure whether to tell you or anyone else."

"You can tell me, Daphne. I'm listening."  Daphne took a deep breath and began to talk.  "I've had this situation for a while now. When I moved here, I signed up to be a police officer. However, my family said they were moving again. But I stayed here for my police officer duties in Lucella."  Pony stared at her, confused like Willow once before at this point.  "Wait, what point are you making, exactly?"

"Well, Willow asked me this before that got me thinking about something. What would've happened if I ended up being betrayed?  By the people I'm closest to."  That made Pony's eyes widened in shock. How long has that girl been having that type of situation?  "Daphne... how long have you had this on your mind?" He asked.  

"Um... a while now, actually. I'm so sorry, Pony. I know it sounds selfish and I shouldn't have said any of that." Daphne said, immediately apologizing afterwards.  Pony then slowly pulled the girl into a hug. Daphne's eyes widened in surprise but hugged back quickly.  "I understand where you're coming from. I... think I know what's up with you, judging from what you said. Have you... gone through this once before? Is this why this is on your mind?"  Daphne frowned at that thought. Pony had gotten that right. He was able to catch on quickly.  

This made a lot more sense for Pony's case.  Is this why Daphne always held her emotions in?  Is this why he rarely saw her sad, angry, or upset?  Well, he knew that she always puts everyone's needs and her own duties above everything else.  But he didn't expect to hear this from her.  "I'm so sorry Pony, I shouldn't have said that. It's my fault for having these thoughts-"

"No, Daphne, it's okay. I can understand what you're talking about. You're... scared, aren't you? Scared that this might happen to you again?" Pony asked, his eyes softening at Daphne's words.  "Yeah, I do. Look, I care for you all so much. Now that I've been here for long, I'm scared that it might happen to me again."

Pony patted Daphne's back in comfort, wondering what to say about this. He was one of the closest friends Daphne had made. He always listened to what Daphne had said. However, he was a bit hurt, hearing what she had said.  How could she think that the Safe Place group would betray her like that?  She had done so much for her, and the same goes for the team.  But hearing Daphne having thoughts about the entire team betraying her, he wasn't having any of that. He knew the team needed her.

"Daphne... I know it's kind of hard for me to say this, but..."  The two of them slowly pulled away from the hug. Pony then placed a hand on her shoulder.  "I'm here for you, okay? I can't speak for the others, but I will never, ever, betray you like you were before. The team needs you, Daphne. It may not look like it to you, but you've done so much for us."

Daphne smiled a little at Pony's reply. She was glad to have a friend like him around.  "Daphne... I have another question."

"What is it?"

"When did this happen to you?"

"When I was in high school. But that's not something important to talk about right now."

"I see... now I understand why you've had this problem for a while now. But why didn't you tell any of us about it? Well, besides Willow."

"If I did, then I'm scared that they would call me selfish. I'm afraid that they would think that I wouldn't care about their feelings."  Pony then shook his head quickly. He knew Daphne wasn't like that before.

"You still cared about us and our feelings to this day. I know everyone would still want you here. I just didn't expect this, that's all. If someone were to do this to you again, me or someone else would not hesitate to protect you."

Daphne looked down at the floor. What was she going to do now?  She felt like she had a choice to make at the moment. But what could she choose?  "I truly think of you all as my family. You all mean so much to me."

"Daphne... you've been with us for a long time. We all think of you as family. Zizzy and I think of you as a sister. Mimi and Giraffy enjoy your company, and they wanted to repay you for a long time for helping them out. And even the younger ones think of you as a big sister, even though they all already have sisters of their own."

Daphne looked down at the floor. Pony was right. They cared for her so much. However, that didn't mean that those thoughts would go away.  "So please. Don't think me or anyone else in our team would throw you away like that. And if one of us does, I'll be there to protect you. Thank you for telling me this."

"I'm... I'm relieved to hear that... thank you."

Pony then pulled Daphne into a hug once more.  This time, the hug was a bit firmer than the gentle hug he gave her.  This showed that Pony would truly never betray her.  However, Daphne hugged back, nonetheless.  Daphne felt a small smile slowly coming on her face.  A part of her felt better.

However, another part of her still had some doubts.