Chapter 13: Alone

A few more nights had passed, and things haven't changed as much.

Daphne sat in her room, staring at the window. The moon was shining brightly out in the night sky.  She sighed softly, placing her hand on the window once more.  The night sky was beautiful tonight. But at a time like this?  That was a different story.  Daphne stared at the moon for a couple of moments, thinking.

She remembered the harsh times she went through in this outbreak.  She didn't admit it, but she showed fear, anger, denial, resentment, and many others.  But when she did express them, she did so alone.  It was rare for her to do so in front of others.  She remembered the time where she cried quietly in front of her friends due to their loss of Zizzy.  

But lately, it seemed like she expressed a bit more from what she remembered, but continued to hide it either way, to prevent everyone from worrying.  However, when she was alone, that's when she lets her emotions out.  But she was smart enough to do it without anyone else hearing her.

She remembered when she had first signed up to be a detective, she was nervous. She wasn't a child at the time this happened. However, she was nervous that she wouldn't make much of a difference.  But when she was acquainted with some of the police officers, she felt relieved. Relieved that she was welcomed around others.  She was honestly scared for a long time.

She remembered one day that she was partnered up with Doggy for the first time for the cases. Doggy was super friendly around her, and same with Daphne as well.  Despite her being a detective, Daphne was trained to protect herself.  She wanted to do so, since she wasn't planning on getting hurt.  She wasn't planning to rely on anyone for her protection.

Growing up, she really like doing escape rooms and solving complicated puzzles.  However, she always thought that she would do these for fun.  She never expected for her skills to be put to the test.

That's when until the infection came around.  Daphne was given a case to search for Georgie one day, and that's when she realized something.

This was the first time she would face this.  She had faced many other cases before.  However, without any other officers around, she felt... unprepared.  She then ran into Doggy at the police station. It was a surprise to see him at the station.  She knew that he had a day off that night, but it was unexpected of him to show up.

Nonetheless, Daphne accepted Doggy's help, and the two of them stuck with each other. For a while.  Until at the forest, she witnessed something she feared.

Doggy was infected that day. She felt fear rise up in her.  She thought that she would get through this with him.  However, that wasn't really the case.  She felt terrible for leaving Doggy behind like that, despite him being infected. Why did she do that?

That's when she found herself at the school. Where she had rescued Bunny.  That's also when she realized she had to leave Bunny behind as well.  There were so many people Daphne had to leave behind. Was she selfish about this?  She then ran into Zizzy and Pony. But little did Daphne know later...

She lost Zizzy too.

Everyone was very close with Zizzy, including her. So, she wasn't the only one who felt this pain.  Ever since that day, she continuously blamed herself, wondering if there was any way to turn back time, instead of running away.  She felt selfish. Selfish for leaving the ones that were by her side behind. But then she realized something. They were about to be infected at one point, were they?

She had no choice.  But at the same time, Daphne felt horrible. She couldn't believe she left them behind, despite them telling her to go.  Daphne smiled sadly at the window. She chuckled softly.

"I'm sorry, everyone. I couldn't be able to save you all, couldn't I?"  Ever since she lost Doggy, Bunny, and Zizzy, she had been getting nightmares, reliving the same experiences.  Well, this only started when Doggy and Bunny got infected.  However, ever since Zizzy was gone, those nightmares had gotten worse and worse for her.

Sometimes, those nightmares would turn out scarier than it used to be.  Daphne would mostly wake up in a sweat.  However, she would always try her best to ignore it.  However, she had them every other night or so.  These nightmares would slowly take a toll on her mental state.  She tried to hide it from everyone.  

But now that Doggy and Bunny were alive, those nightmares had subsided.  But this came at a cost. Daphne still had nightmares about Zizzy.  It was scarier than she could've imagined.  In her nightmares, Zizzy had blamed her.  Saying that this was her fault.  Was it really her fault?  Could she have done something to stop that from happening?

She recalled one night where she had a nightmare and Pony had finally found out about it.

Daphne had woken up in a sweat, gasping.  A light scream of terror escapes her lips.  She was breathing heavily, and her hand moved to her chest.  She was still here.  She had turned to the clock in her room.  4:26 am.  She slept at an early hour a while ago.  Would these nightmares ever stop?

Suddenly, her door had opened, and someone barged in.  The female had turned her head to see who it was.  She rubbed her eyes to see more clearly.  A pony was standing there, an extremely worried look on her face.  He had his glasses on, apparently.

"Are you okay?"  He had asked in a soft tone of voice.  Mainly to keep his voice down. Daphne looked down at her hands.  "I'm fine."  She had said simply.  Hearing that reply, Pony had sighed.

"Then why do I see a look of fear on your face?"  Daphne had sighed quietly as well.  She could tell that Pony had seen this out of her for a while now.

"I guess I could say... you're not the only one who had a nightmare about Zizzy."

After telling Pony about her nightmare, Pony could easily sympathize with her.  He cried to her about it once, and Daphne comforted him.  However, Daphne felt bad, knowing that Pony did the same.  Comforting her.  She didn't want to bother him.  However, Pony had insisted on her talking about it.  She then told him about the dreams she had that she was in with Bunny and Doggy ever since they both got infected.  That ended up with Daphne slowly tearing up, but she had stopped herself from doing so.

However, she didn't come to realize that Pony had seen that.  She had told her friends about it, and they tried her best to get her mind off of it.  It was tough, but they all stuck with her until she was alright.  Now that Daphne thought about it...

She knew that Doggy and Bunny were here. But one question was still flying around her head.  How? How were they alive? She had saw them turn infected.  Daphne knew that she also had to apologize for Doggy and Bunny for leaving them behind. A part of her still felt guilty for doing so.

There was also one other thing she was wondering.  How was her family doing after she chose to stay here?  Last time she contacted her family, they seemed to be doing well. She knew that her twin sister, was a college student. So, she had a very busy schedule.  Unfortunately, Daphne was unable to get in contact with her family, since she was in the middle of the infection. She didn't want her family to start worrying anyway.

"I hope you're doing okay, Delilah... I know you can get through things without me."  Daphne muttered under her breath, looking away from the window.  Willow had told everyone that there was a cure to be made. Daphne knew that there was a chance to save some of her friends.  If Doggy and Bunny had gotten cured, then a cure must've been made, right?

That was the only thing Daphne had thought of. But who was doing this? She knew that the military up north had a cure working in progress, but that quickly?  "There's so many things on my mind. I shouldn't think about it longer."  Daphne had mumbled once more. She closed the curtains, thinking that it was about time to get to sleep.

She was stressed. Stressed about all of this.  Was she able to defend and save everyone?  She really hoped that she did.  Daphne suddenly felt herself clenching her fists slowly all of a sudden. Why?  She didn't seem to do that out of anger, no. It was something else.

It was determination.

"I promise you all... I'll save everyone. No matter what it takes."