Chapter 9: More survivors

Well, the people Daphne saw were definitely not infected. But who were they?

And why did their voices sound so familiar?  "At least they're not infected..." Pony whispered to Daphne. The female nodded slowly.  "That's good. But even so, we need to keep our guard up. Who knows, they could possibly harm us." Daphne whispered back to Pony.  "Yeah, you're probably right... can you make out who they are?"

"No, not really... but I thought their voices sounded familiar..." Daphne mumbled the last part of her sentence.  "What did you say?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing."

Unfortunately, Daphne couldn't hear much of what the two figures were talking about. She was even more confused at this point. Maybe she should've alerted everyone else beforehand.  "Maybe we should head back and tell everyone else. They could possibly be after us, maybe." Pony suggested.  "Probably. Let's go."

But as soon as Daphne stood up from where she was standing, she heard a loud snap beneath her shoes. She froze instantly on the spot.  "Daphne? What did you do?" Pony began. Daphne immediately looked down on the grassy field, before seeing a twig snapped in two beneath her shoes. She sighed in annoyance.  "Of course, it had to be a twig..." She mumbled. Suddenly, she heard voices behind her.

"Wait... someone's here."

"I know. Someone must've been listening on our conversation."

Daphne and Pony immediately ran to another bush, hoping that the two people didn't spot them. Daphne's heart raced a little.  "Sorry Pony..." Daphne whispered, feeling guilty for catching their attention. Pony smiled and shook his head, mouthing "it's fine." to the female.  

"Could it be coming from here?"  The two figures walked over to the bush that the pony and the human were last hiding. Fortunately, the two of them didn't find anything.  "We can't hide here for long. Maybe we should tell the others now." Pony whispered. Daphne paused for a moment before nodding slowly.

"Yeah, we probably should. Let's go."  But before the two of them even stood up, a strong gust of wind blew by. Unfortunately, that gust of wind, blew Daphne's beret and Pony's beanie off their heads.  "Oh, our cover's blown now..." Pony mumbled, making Daphne nod quickly. The two of them immediately hid in the bush once more.  The hats flew onto the grassy field. It was also where the two figures could see the two hats.

"Huh? Two hats? So, someone is here."

"Yeah, I see that as well. And they're near us."

The two figures took out their weapons, but also picking up the hats. Daphne was now confused at this point.  "Did they seriously just take our hats?" Pony whispered. Daphne sighed but nodded. One of the voices were then heard.  "Wait... I heard something. Whoever's hiding there, don't you dare start running. You better show yourself."

Pony and Daphne looked at each other in fear. Daphne then stood up from the bush, making Pony stare at her in shock. He gave her a "Are you insane? What are you doing?" look. However, Daphne didn't look back.  Daphne placed her pistol at her waist. She wasn't going to start anything. But she wasn't going to let Pony get hurt either.

Suddenly, the two figures emerged and started walking towards the human girl. Daphne held her breath for a few seconds in case they would strike.  But once Daphne made eye contact with the two people, everything suddenly went in slow motion. It was like everything had suddenly stopped for a second.

Seeing who it was, Daphne held her head for a few seconds. She felt like as if she had seen someone come back to life right in front of her.  And that was what happened. Sort of.

The two people seeing Daphne, were just as surprised as she was. They couldn't believe their eyes either.  "Daphne? Tell me that's really you." One of them said, blinking their eyes, hoping that they weren't dreaming.