8. sacrifices for consequences

CHAPTER EIGHT

RHAENYRA had heard the news first

RHAENYRA had heard the news first. Otto Hightower and Roseva Baratheon were to be wed in a moons time. To say she was disgusted, shocked and angry would've been an understatement.

But the one person who felt all those emotions but heightened was Alicent. Her father hadn't even bothered telling her, simply letting it be announced in the council meeting by Viserys, telling the man on behalf of Roseva who had been confined to her chambers, only allowing Rhaenyra and Viserys inside.

Roseva felt disgusted of herself, she couldn't believe she was stupid enough to fall for Daemon Targaryen and get caught doing it. Otto was a master manipulated, she knew that already but using this to get what he wanted only seemed to add salt to the pre-existing wound.

The woman laid awake in her bed, staring at the designs on her ceiling, Roseva tried not to cry because she didn't want to be weak anymore. She would marry Otto, give him a son and never see or touch him again.

Rhaenyra opened the chamber door tentatively, bare feet tapping on the marble floor to get to the bed. Roseva shifted over the side of the bed to make room as the princess opened the covers and got in. "Otto is a cunt".

A laugh echoed in the room, it had been the first time Roseva had laughed or even smiled since agreeing to the marriage and of course Rhaenyra had been the one to bring it out of her. She loved that girl deeply and she was glad that despite the circumstances, the husband that was chosen for her allowed her to stay in Kings Landing with the princess.

"That he is", she sighed as the smile fell from her lips as quick as it came. "I miss Daemon". Rhaenyra shifted and looked at the woman, a tear falling down her face and onto the pillow. She knew the truth was hard for Roseva to utter, she often kept how she felt to herself unless she was truly upset or angry — it made Rhaenyra feel sorry for her.

The princess didn't understand the idea of love, she didn't want to be wed or bare children for her husband. She wanted to be free and now she was watching the one person who was free become trapped like a bird in a cage — as selfish as it sounded it made Rhaenyra realise that not everyone gets what they want, not even princesses.