13. ceremony of chaos and corruption

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

NEWS OF Otto Hightower's leave was spread widely throughout the Keep — Roseva had barely left her chambers since he was removed and Steffon had kept watched outside the door as always

Rhaenyra had been sent away with her father to Driftmark where they would offer up a proposition to wed the Princess to Ser Laenor Velaryon.

On the night of the feast for Laenor and Rhaenyra's union, Alicent Hightower knocked on her step—mothers chambers quietly, licking her lips under the gaze of Steffon Baratheon.

The door opened and Roseva smiled fully at the sight of her step—daughter and Alicent returned it and smiled even brighter at the sight of her brother resting on Roseva's hip but she quickly frowned at the red hand mark on the woman's neck that had been slowly healing over the time that had passed.

Roseva noticed and spoke quickly, "Alicent, what a lovely surprise. Please come in", the woman stepped aside and let the young woman come into the room.

The woman closed the door behind her to see Alicent standing by the round table in her room. "Is something the matter, my child?", she crossed the room to meet her once she noticed the look on Alicent's face.

"Mother . . .", she grabbed Roseva's free hand, "I am so so sorry". Alicent had felt guilt ridden, so much to the point where she hadn't brought herself to see Roseva.

The woman furrowed her brows and placed Robert in his cot before taking both of Alicent's hands, "It wasn't your fault, I kept it a secret, it was of my doing".

"I should have known, he was my father and I should've done something".

Roseva smiled gently, "How could you of known, sweet girl? If anything . . . I should be the one to apologise".

This time Alicent looked confused, "For what?".

"I have not been a good . . . mother figure to you as I should have been. I have spent so much of my time worrying over Rhaenyra and Robert when I should have also been looking after you".