17. the art of choosing

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

ROBERT LIKED HIS NEPHEW

ROBERT LIKED HIS NEPHEW. Aemond Targaryen was everything he admired — he was knowledgeable and took things that were out of his normalcy in a mature way despite his senses telling him to gouge someone's eyes out.

Aegon however, Robert didn't like. He made people feel uncomfortable, he was rude and he smelled like wine and dirt — never a good combo in his opinion.

Robert expected many things, he had a gut feeling when something bad was about to happen — he couldn't place it but he felt it now. He sat up in his bed and looked over to the other small beds where his siblings were sleeping with tired eyes.

He never expected Daena and Baela to come into their chambers with Jace and Luke and pull him from his bed in hopes that Robert would be the one to reason with his nephew — oh how wrong they would be.

Aemond walked in with a new found confidence, it reeked off of him like wine reeked off of Aegon. Luke tried grabbing his older brothers attention by asking what had happened and why they were in the cave but the two girls pointed to the Targaryen, "It's him".

"It's me".

Robert would have been proud of his nephews reply had he not stolen the dragon Vhagar from Rhaena — who was meant to bond with the dragon after the passing of her mother.

Robert thought it was rude.

"Nephew, I think you should apologise to the Lady Rhaena", Robert tried to calm the situation and Aemond turned to him.

Aemond had heard things from his mother about Robert, that he was a master in sword fighting as he tried with Daeron a lot and having Daemon as a teacher did them favours. The boy noted that his mother seemed to adore her brother a lot, it must have been hard for her to have an absent father and brother. But Roseva never kept them apart before she moved away but even then Alicent and Robert exchanged friendly letters to each other now and again over the years.