Chapter 5: Investigation - Part I

Barriss didn't believe it, not one bit.

Anakin would never have killed that woman. Sure he hated her for what she did, but didn't all the Jedi?

So why Tarkin would pick on Anakin she couldn't understand, was it because he was the chosen one?

Master Luminara was currently in debate with a group of Jedi in the archives, most of them believing Anakin did in fact commit the act.

Master Luminara made it clear she sided with Anakin.

The only other Jedi in that group that agreed were Bultar Swan and Koffi Arana.

'they actually used their brains' Barriss thought.

She knew the Jedi hadn't wanted Anakin in the order to begin with, but this was just utterly ridiculous.

"Oh, Barriss, I was looking for you."

Nahdar walked up beside her.

She had been worried to hear he was injured on Vassek saving commander Phil (aka his now boyfriend) from Grievous, but relieved to hear he'd been alright otherwise.

That incident had really matured him, he no longer was overconfident in himself and was far more careful.

She nodded to him.

"Hello Nahdar."

They had been, she guessed she could say friends, since a mission they went on together to Jakku. That planet was very uninviting to say the least, and she preferred not remembering most of that experience other than the friendship she made with Nahdar.

"Do you believe this whole thing with Skywalker?"

Barriss shook her head and frowned.

"Not in the slightest."

Nahdar nodded in agreement.

"If those fools would actually stop to think for a moment, they'd realize the truth."

Barriss just sighed.

"They are too trapped in their jealousy of him to care about the truth."

And it was true, most of them were just jealous of Anakin and how famous he was, which was very unbecoming of Jedi, but Barriss didn't care, they all acted like children in her eyes anyway.

Nahdar nodded and frowned as well.

"Master 'SHE was speaking about it with masters Deselo and Drallig. Melik and I voiced our disagreement with him, but it seems even master Drallig is against Skywalker."

Barriss wasn't surprised about that, again, many of the masters really acted like immature children. Master Luminara had been unable to find many Jedi who believed Anakin was innocent.

Master Kenobi was one, obvious, then apparently masters Ti, Koon, Billaba, Mareel, Secura, knights Swan, Arana, Galerha, and Nahdar and herself.

But there were very few.

"I do however believe a Jedi was behind this."

Nahdar turned to her with a curious look.

"Why?"

Barriss just chuckled.

"I'm not sure actually, but something about this just practically screams that the Jedi council really missed something."

Nahdar rolled his eyes.

"Those blind fools miss everything."

"Not all of them."

Nahdar shrugged.

"I know, but most of them really miss some of the most obvious things. Example, what is up with the Chancellor?"

Barriss hummed in thought but said nothing.

She had never really liked Chancellor Palpatine, something about him was just...off. There was no better way to put it, something about the man was very odd, like there was something about him no one was seeing.

Master Luminara didn't particularly care for the man either, but even she expressed having a strange suspicion of him.

What Barriss found odd was how the man was still in office considering his term already expired.

The Jedi council was too busy infighting to actually stop and notice that.

"Who knows? But I might need your help."

Nahdar looked more curious.

"Why's that?"

"I'm going to look into this, see if I can find anything that proves Anakin as innocent, and try to unravel who's really behind it. Can I count on you Nahdar?"

He just grinned.

"I never did like playing much by the order's rules anyway, of course I'll help you, but where do we even begin?"

Barriss had an idea, Anakin would go somewhere to both stay hidden and investigate, and she knew exactly where he would go.

"I believe the Coruscant underworld will be a good start."