Chapter 9: Pre-Trial

Anakin sat in his cell.

He was defeated now.

Well, another fine mess he's somehow gotten himself into.

The door opened and in came Padme and Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan.

All of them not hesitating to bring him into a group hug.

He smiled.

"Hey, I'm not planning on dying anytime soon."

Padme frowned a bit, so cute.

"Don't say something like that, don't even joke about it Ani."

Wait, Obi-Wan...

Ahsoka already knew so he wasn't concerned about her knowing, but Obi-Wan.

His master just rolled his eyes.

"You two were always so obvious, too obvious I might add."

Anakin laughed nervously.

"So..."

Ahsoka smirked at this.

"You suck at being discreet skyguy."

Obi-Wan nodded.

"Very much so."

Padme blushed in embarrassment, then shook her head.

"Ani, I'm going to represent you."

Anakin nodded.

"And the prosecution?"

Padme frowned.

"Tarkin."

Anakin made an 'ugh' sound.

"Say no more."

They got a good laugh out of that.

"Master, the council? I know they gotta hate me now."

Obi-Wan grinned a bit.

"You have more of them on your side than you may think."

"What does that mean?"

Obi-Wan stroked his beard.

"I seem to recall master Billaba losing her cool on Eeth Koth, and grandmaster Yoda, pointing out every little flaw with the Jedi council, as well as the Jedi code, and then announcing her resignation from the council before she left the chambers."

Anakin raised a brow with a smirk, good, she embarrassed them.

"And?"

"Master Windu promptly lost his composure after looking at master Mundi's blank expression, and proceeded to laugh out loud at his embarrassment, really unusual for the master of the order to do, but I joined in as well."

Anakin chuckled.

"Seems I might have rubbed off a little on the old man somehow, not that it's a bad thing."

Obi-Wan shook his head with a comic sigh.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that Anakin."

Padme looked between the two.

"How are you being so comical right now?"

Anakin shrugged.

"I can't help it Padme, I get comical in these types of situations, helps release any stress I have in the moment."

"Oh...sorry."

"Don't worry about it love. So Obi-Wan, who is on my side then?"

Obi-Wan became serious and nodded.

"Masters Windu, Koon, Ti, Billaba, Mareel, and myself. Also masters Unduli, Yaddle, Sinube, Nu, and Secura, and Knights Swan, Arana, Offee, Vebb, and Galerha."

Anakin was a little surprised all them had sided with him, not so much about Luminara and Barriss, but those other masters and knights, who he didn't know all that well.

"You know how the Chancellor is taking it?"

Padme answered for him.

"Well like me and several others he was shocked and outraged, and has sided with you of course. Also senators Organa, Mothma, Kayleen, Valotta, Chuchi, and myself."

"Well, this is going to be just fine then."

Padme looked at him with sad eyes.

"You're not confident are you?"

Anakin sighed.

"Honestly, no. I could never find the true culprit, and now I'll never be able to."

Obi-Wan shook his head at that.

"I wouldn't say that. Ahsoka and I will be here for the trial, while Barriss is going back into the underworld to find Ventress."

Anakin nodded.

"Good, hope she catches that lying witch."

He was not confident he'd convinced the Senate, but if Barriss could find Ventress, maybe he still had a chance. He knew Barriss wouldn't let him down, he had faith in her abilities.

She had gotten much more skilled at dueling and the force, and also more unpredictable in dueling in general, so he wasn't worried she'd lose to Ventress in a duel.

Only reason he lost is because she fought with a style he knew but wasn't familiar with, but odd, something about it was not Ventress' style.

Now that he thought about it, really thought, that couldn't have been Ventress at all, the fighting style used was ataru, and they didn't fight like a sith or former sith assassin, they fought like a Jedi.

The door opened again, and Fox stepped in briefly to speak, the commander was likely getting death threats from the entirety of the 501st by now.

"The trial is about to begin."

Anakin frowned at him.

"Sure, master Mundi, 'trial'."

He made air quotes on the last word, causing Ahsoka to hold in a giggle and Obi-Wan to grin and shake his head.

Fox just shrugged and left, Anakin did feel kind of bad for him in a way, but he also didn't at the same time.

Anakin sighed as he stood up.

"Well, time to meet the firing squad."

"Anakin!"

Came the simultaneous response from Padme, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan.

"What?"

*That ending is so Anakin, lol.