Chapter 18: Complications

*from the title...idk where I'm going with this, but I have a bad feeling...😶...

Tarkin just finished inspecting the barracks of the 139th airborne, Jedi Knight Nicholas Kota's battalion.

He felt that commander Leo was keeping him away from the medical bay though, which had him suspicious.

So while the commander got preoccupied by a transmission from commander Cody, he snuck away.

He then hid behind a wall as a clone opened the doors to the medical bay.

Looking in, Tarkin saw multiple clones lying on cots, and some going through surgeries of some sort.

He could also see atomic level brain scans being conducted.

He did not understand why, they all looked perfectly healthy.

So after he took notes of this, he went back to find commander Leo, and pretended not to have been around the medical bay. Thankfully no one saw him, and Leo assumed he'd gotten lost.

Afterwards, he completed his inspection, and left those barracks, and went back to his office.

He then promptly contacted Mas Amedda.

"Admiral Tarkin, to what do I owe this...pleasure?"

His tone conveyed some disgust, which Tarkin ignored.

"Is the Chancellor present?"

Mas Amedda narrowed his eyes and frowned.

"What do you wish to speak to him regarding?"

"The clones."

Mas looked off to the side, probably Palpatine, then sighed.

"Please hold, I'll transfer your call to his desk."

He promptly did so. After a minute, the hologram of Palpatine appeared, sitting behind his desk per usual.

He had a smile, yet it seemed forced somehow.

"Ah, admiral Tarkin. Mas Amedda informed me of your call, is something the matter?"

He started feeling a bit of an itch at the back of his throat, but payed it no mind.

"Chancellor, I was inspecting the clone's barracks as usual, but when I inspected those of the 139th airborne I found something...strange."

Palpatine narrowed his eyes ever so slightly, though his tone conveyed curiosity.

"Strange how?"

"I found the medical bay was particularly active. I saw there were atomic level brain scans being conducted, as well as surgeries. All those clones had bacta patches on their heads, though I don't know why. I was wondering if you knew of an inoculation going on?"

Palpatine's expression became unreadable for a moment, before he smiled and shook his head, again, it seemed forced.

That itchy feeling was gone from his throat.

"No. I'm afraid perhaps you are mistaken admiral, the Jedi would have informed me of such a matter. Though I will have this looked into. Thank you for this report admiral, it is rather...curious."

Then the transmission ended.

Tarkin found the Chancellor's behavior rather odd.

What was going on?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Sidious stared at his desk in deep thought.

Atomic level scans? Surgeries?