015

‿‿‿‿‿‿‿‿

‿‿‿‿‿‿‿‿

TSA'TVAYI

‿‿‿‿‿‿‿‿

"THE TULKUNS HAVE NOT come yet, and no tulkun swims alone," Ao'nung scoffed in response to Lo'ak's story.

Tsa'tvayi pressed her lips together in frustration as she placed a hand on the younger's knee. They were all meeting on the rocks, Lo'ak excitedly telling the story of Payakan. Unfortunately, their disbelief seemed to coat the air.

"It did here," Lo'ak insisted and leaned forward, his eyes wide and honest. She could feel the desperation oozing out of him, the need to be believed consuming him. "He was missing his one fin. The left one was only a stump."

She could see Tsireya and Ao'nung exchanging dubious glances. "He speaks the truth," her eyes narrowed, "Payakan saved his life."

Tsireya reached forward and wrapped her hand around Lo'ak's arm, the boy relaxing slightly.

"Payakan is a killer." The girl's eyes were blown wide in concern as she looked between Tsa'tvayi and Lo'ak. "He has killed Na'vi and Tulkuns."

Lo'ak shook his head vehemently, Tsa'tvayi keeping her hand firm on his knee. "No."

"Not here." Ao'nung jumped in. "Far down south."

Tsa'tvayi could feel Lo'ak tensing under her hand at the reactions he was receiving. She wanted to comfort him, but had no idea how. "He is not a killer. He saved my life," he insisted.

Tsireya let out a soft sigh, Tsa'tvayi clenching her jaw as she saw Lo'ak deflate. "He is my friend."

Tuk leaned forward from where she sat on Tsa'tvayi's lap and tugged softly on her brother's braids. "I believe you, Lo'ak."

The boy smiled softly at his younger sister and met Tsa'tvayi's eyes, the older smiling at him and nodding. "He is your brother, now," she whispered for only him to hear, Lo'ak nodding gratefully.

"My little brother," Neteyam teased as he pushed himself to his feet and approached the younger boy, clasping a hand on the back of his neck and pulling him forward. "The mighty warrior who fought a killer tulkun and survived."

"Neteyam," she hissed lowly, her eyes falling shut in irritation. The boy's head turned to her, his eyes wide wit confusion as Lo'ak pushed him away.

"You don't listen," Lo'ak snapped before rushing away, his steps angry on the sand.

"I'm listening!" Tuk yelled out as she watched her brother walk away, Tsa'tvayi soothing a hand down the younger girl's back, her own eyes glued to Lo'ak.

"What?" Neteyam threw his arms in the air as she turned to glare at him. "I wanted to make him smile."

Tsa'tvayi pursed her lips as she pushed herself off, Tuk held carefully in her arms as the younger girl wrapped her legs around the older's waist. "You should have simply listened, that is what would have made him smile."

Neteyam's eyes dropped as he ran a hand down his face, Tuk wiggling out of her grip and running after Kiri who was following the other's down into the water.

"I do not know what to do with Lo'ak," he sighed, Tsa'tvayi laying a hand on his arm as his tail wrapped around her leg. "He tries to make our father proud, but is always unable to. I do not like seeing him hurt." His voice was low as she looked up at him, his eyes pinned to the sand under their feet.

Tsa'tvayi let out a soft sigh as she wrapped her arms around Neteyam and pulled him into a hug. "Perhaps he fails with his father, but he can succeed with you. I have seen you together, it is not just his father he wishes to impress, it is also you. Lo'ak cares deeply for you but he feels alone."

Neteyam wrapped his arms tightly around her, his head falling into the space between her neck and shoulder. "It does not help that his actions lead to your punishments, too. Perhaps, he feels as if all he does is disappoint, and every time he tries, he ruins it more."

She pressed a hand on the back of his head softly, the boy letting out a breath against her neck. "I will speak with him, later" he promised into her skin, before taking a step back. "Let's of meet the others, Tsireya said she would show us the Spirit Tree."

Tsa'tvayi looked at him carefully for a moment, his golden eyes shining, before nodding. "Let us go, it is beautiful." As they dived into the water, she briefly wondered if she meant the sight of the tree or the sight of his eyes glowing under the sun.

‿‿‿‿‿‿‿‿

THEY SWAM SLOWLY TO the Spirit Tree, Tsa'tvayi taking the time to show Neteyam the beauty of the water. She could see his bright smile as they swam past clusters of plants that glowed under the water. They continued leisurely, their arms and tails brushing lightly every once in a while as they shared smiles.

It all seemed to burn as they reached the tree and found Kiri convulsing, her queue connected. Tsa'tvayi didn't hesitate before rushing forward and disconnecting the girl from the tree, Neteyam besides her as they held her up under the water. She signed to him quickly.

'We need to get her back, fast.' Neteyam's eyes were wide, his jaw set as he grabbed her, Tsa'tvayi clicking for Ean'ora to meet them. The pair rushed to the surface, Kiri cradled carefully between them, and just as quickly mounted Ean'ora, Tsa'tvayi forming tsaheylu.

She could hear Tsireya calling out to them, her voice panicked, but didn't turn around as she willed the ilu to rise forward. "There is something wrong with Kiri," she called out over her shoulder. "We are taking her to Tsahik."

They flew through the water, Tsa'tvayi pursing her lips at the constant rush she'd lived the past couple of days. Truly, she just wanted a break- her muscles weren't willing to put up with her for much longer.

Neteyam's hands were wrapped around her waist tightly, Kiri placed between the two as her head lolled on Tsa'tvayi's shoulder.

'Come on, Ean'ora.' She pleaded through the tsaheylu, 'Faster.' The ilu let out a chirp before pushing herself to go quicker, the trio reaching the shore in the blink of an eye.

Neteyam didn't hesitate before throwing himself off and picking up his sister, Tsa'tvayi following closely behind after promising Ean'ora a lot of fish.

"Sir," he hollered as they barged into the pod, Jake jumping to his feet the moment he saw Kiri. Neteyam lowered her carefully to her mat, Neytiri letting out a soft cry.

"What happened?" Jake fretted over his daughter, his eyes hovering over her skin.

"I don't know," Neteyam growled out in frustration as he ran a hand down his face. "She formed tsaheylu at the Spirit Tree and seized. We brought her as quickly as possible."

Jake threw Neytiri a look, his eyes heavy. "We need to call Norm."

The woman let out a hiss, defeat coating her face. "Fine."

Tsa'tvayi took a step back to the door. "Would you like me to find Tsahik? She can help."

Jake turned to her as he laid a hand on Kiri's head, the girl's chest rising and falling slowly; too slowly. "Please, Tsa'tvayi."

She nodded, before turning on her heel and rushing across the village, Neteyam's eyes following her.