1

FELIX

Age: 11

I smiled at my Mama as he sat down at the dinner table. I was thankful that Pa was there to make sure that he ate. He seemed always to forget because he was too busy taking care of us.

Pa sat down at the table as well but it only took a minute before he got up again. There was a knock on the door that had Oliver's ears twitch.

"No! We made a deal now leave!" Pa yelled from the other room where the front door was. I watched worriedly as Mama handed baby Bennett to Galaxy.

"Stay here," he said as he got up from his seat and went to help Pa.

"Felix," Elliot whispered to me. "Go see who it is."

I should've listened to my mom. I know that Elliot was my younger brother, I didn't need to do what he told me to. But I was curious, so I got up and walked into the other room. What I saw changed my life forever.

"Please, it doesn't have his scent anymore. Did you really think one blanket would last seven years?" The small man said I had never seen one in person before, but I knew that he was a fairy. I had always been so curious about them, but Mama and Pa would steer me away from the topic.

The man looked sickly, he was very thin, with hollowed cheeks and deep bags under his eyes. His light blue hair looked thin and greasy like he hadn't washed it properly in a while. His clothes looked dirty and torn, but there was one thing in his hands that looked to be in perfect condition, a blanket. As I looked closer I noticed that it was my blanket.

"Of course, we didn't but that doesn't mean that you can come when the children are here. I will get you something but next time you wait until the kids are at school. Do you understand?"

The man cried in joy and handed my blanket back to Mama. "Yes, yes! I understand, I promise! Thank you! Thank you!"

It was then that I decided to step forward. "Pa? M-mama? What's going on? Who is that and why do they have my blanket?"

My eyes never left the person in the doorway. He looked at me like I hung the stars. Our eye contact broke as Papa took a step in front of me.

"No, no, please. Not again." The man whimpered, I peeked around Papa to see him take a step into the house which caused Papa to growl loudly.

"We had a deal. Get. Out."

"Please! How would you feel if someone kept you from your mate?!" The man shrieked causing my eyes to grow wide and blood to freeze in my veins.

"W-what?" I asked softly, I honestly wasn't even sure I had said it out loud.

Mama ran back into the room- when did he leave?- and tossed another blanket at the man- my mate?- and quickly shut the door. I noticed it to be the comforter from my bed.

"W-what did he mean?" I asked as I took a step back away from Pa. It was all so confusing and it didn't help that Oliver was whimpering loudly at the sound of the man's crying.

Mama quickly came over to me and led me to the couch. He sat us down and rubbed my back gently. "Jay, we have to." He said as he looked up at Pa. I looked up and the sight, honestly, shocked me. My father looked heartbroken- something that I had never seen on either of my parent's faces. Pa sat down with us so that I was in between them.

"Two days after you were born. Your grandparents visited your mom and me in the hospital. You were so small-"

"I-I was a preemie baby but because of you, I made it. Y-you made me strong. Papa, I know this story, what does it have to do with m-my m-ma-" Mama cut me off before I could finish the word.

"Just listen to what he has to say, baby. I promise we'll explain as much as we can." I nodded and looked back at Papa.

"You were so small. I could hold you with one hand. After a while of hanging out with your grandparents, we got another visitor. Someone who helped take care of your mom while he was pregnant."

"We didn't want him to meet you because of some hurtful things he said about Galaxy." Mama continued, "but he forced his way in, and flew above our heads to see you. I shielded you from his sight as quickly as I could but he'd already seen you. He made the connection."

"Connection?" I asked, I was so confused. I had heard the story of my birth and days after a million times, why did they never mention this friend before?

"The friend that helped your mom is the same person that was at the door. We didn't want to tell you until you were eighteen but Goddess has different plans I guess. Felix, son, the man that you saw today. He is your mate."

"No, that can't be right," I said as I turned to Mama. "M-Mama, that can't be true. I'm supposed to meet my mate when I'm ready. I-I'm not ready now! I-i don't want to leave you guys. I don't even know him!" I began to ramble as my breathing began to pick up.

"Baby, breathe. Felix, sweetheart. You aren't going anywhere." Mama said as he wrapped me in his arms and pulled me into his lap. I buried my head into his neck as tears fell from my eyes. "You must be crazy if you think you can get rid of us that easily."

I felt the couch shift as Papa moved closer to us and rubbed my back gently. "Just because you know who your mate is doesn't mean that you have to take action. We didn't want you to meet him until you were 18. Based on how you're acting I think we should stick with that plan, alright?"

I nodded but I didn't leave the comfort of Mom's hug. Why did he have to come here?