Epilogue

FELIX

Ten years later

I smiled as the scent that has intoxicated me for years flowed into my nose. I had smelled that scent everyday for ten years, and I had yet to tire of it, I could never get tired of it.

I was standing on the front porch of our little house, watching and enjoying the early morning hours of my pack. The small children walking from their own homes to the small school house, the birds picking at the ground trying to find worms, it was all so relaxing.

"How are you feeling this morning, my love?" I asked as Angus stopped once he was at my side. I wrapped my arm around him and rested my hand on his small baby bump. That was our twentieth pregnancy in ten years, out of which we got one baby, River.

After the first few losses, we did more research and found that it's not only hard to conceive with interspecies couples but even harder to conceive for an asexual species.

"Better, no morning sickness yet." He said in a quiet voice. He was nervous, out of all the pregnancies he only got morning sickness with River. Every time he got pregnant he worried and worried until he got morning sickness or until... we lost it. I wasn't entirely sure why he thought that way, he'd had morning sickness with two pregnancies we lost.

I saw how it affected him, how depressed he got everytime we sat in the doctor's office after all the blood. I tried, begged him to take precautions so we don't go through the pain. But he wanted more kids and adopting wasn't as easy as it was with Clover. Kids didn't fall from the sky, it's rare for werewolves to become orphans and adopting a human child would take years.

"Remember what Dr. June said, every pregnancy is different. You may not have any morning sickness this time and it'll be fine. We need to stay positive. How about we spend the day with the kids; have a picnic in the woods like we used to."

"Dr. June said I should be careful and not exert myself. It could hurt the baby."

"Dr. June also said that you should try to make yourself as comfortable as possible and we both know that when you are stuck in the house all day you get uncomfortable. You need to spend some time in nature and you know it. You don't have to jump around with the kids, only sit there and look beautiful. You'll have no problem doing that."

↫↬

I watched happily as Clover and River played together, chasing each other in the field of flowers. The field had become a regular spot for our family, every time we were celebrating anything or just spending time together, we were there.

Clover was twelve and had grown quite well into the pack life. It was to be expected since he was only two when we adopted him but there were so many cases of rouge children not being able to adapt. He had short dark brown hair that he dyed some strands blue, he wanted to match with Angus. Clover's eyes had lightened into a clear blue, instead of a dark blue. He also, surprisingly, had developed an astigmatism which resulted in him wearing glasses.

River was nine and looked just like Angus, he had dark blue hair and hazel eyes that shined brightly every time he smiled. He also took after Angus in the species department. He was smaller than Clover was when he was nine, if I had to guess I would say that he wouldn't be any taller than five feet once he was done growing. He also had small brown wings, he wasn't able to use them to fly yet; Angus worriedly had his doubts that he would be able to use them at all.

"Ah!" Angus shouted in pain as he clung to his stomach. Worry shot through me like a bullet. "No, no please. Please not again." I heard him whisper as he rubbed his pregnant belly.

"Kitten, what's wrong?" I was at his side holding him as I rubbed his back soothingly.

"I-I don't know, it hurts." He whined, he looked up with fear and tears in his eyes. "I-I can't do this again. Felix, I can't lose this baby."

"Boys! Let's go, now." I shouted at them to follow as I scooped Angus into my arms and started running toward the pack doctor as fast as I could've.

"W-what's going on Poppa?" Clover asked, he held River's hand as they ran behind us.

"We don't know yet, f-flower." Angus answered.

"When we get to the doctor's office, we need you guys to sit in the waiting room. Everything will be alright, I promise." I added, trying to keep my voice calm.

Thankfully I was smart enough to mind-link Dr. June, so she was standing in front of the building with a bed ready for us.

"What happened?" She asked as I placed Angus on the bed and we began wheeling it into the building.

"I-I don't know, we were relaxing with the boys and suddenly I felt a lot of pain and pressure." Angus said through the tears. He grabbed Dr. June's hand that was on the railing of the bed, "Dr. June, I can't lose this baby. I can't lose another baby."

Angus cried out again, his body writhed in pain. It barely lasted a minute, afterward Dr. June asked, "Talk to me Luna, where does it hurt?"

"M-my lower back, I don't know what's going on. Please just tell me what is happening."

"It sounds like you're in labor but I'll have to run some tests to be sure." She said as she locked Angus's bed into place.

"What?! I-it's too soon!" I shouted worriedly. "W-we still have two months. The baby is only s-sixteen weeks."

"Seventeen," Angus corrected before looking at Dr. June again. "The baby can't survive yet, right? What are we going to do to keep them in?"

"Unfortunately, there isn't a lot that I can do if labor has begun. But again, I'm not 100% sure. Let's look at a few things and figure out what is going on. We'll go from there, alright?"

↫↬

"Alright, you are in preterm labor, and there is no way that we can stop it. So we will need to get the baby out of there before your contractions get worse."

"W-what? Can they survive? What is your plan?" I asked as I grabbed Angus's hand in mine

"A typical werewolf pregnancy lasts twenty-six weeks, so this baby is only nine weeks premature. I will give the baby a dose of steroids to help them develop more before delivery. Then once born, we will set them up in our brand new NICU, there we will do everything we can to keep this baby alive until you can take them home."

"W-we're not losing this baby?" Angus asked in shock as tears of joy flowed down his face. He turned to me and grinned.

"T-they need a name, we need to give them a name. We're having another baby." I leaned over Angus and gave him a long kiss, my lips smiling against his. Angus grinned and held my face in his hands, he pecked my lips once more then buried his face into my neck. He sobbed happily, tears dropped onto my skin and soaked my shirt.

"Rain." He said once he stopped sobbing, he gasped for breath. His eyes were red and puffy.

"I love it, we went through a storm for them. It's the perfect name." I sighed happily as I rested my hand on top of his, on his stomach.

Angus and I had been through so much, our journey began before I could've remembered. He stuck with me when he found out I was a newborn, didn't run when my parents kicked him out, or when he had to go through it all over again when I was eleven and he stuck with me even when I refused to meet him.

Back then, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that we would've gone through everything we did. There was no doubt that it was difficult and there were times when we fought but we never let the fights ruin us. We were a team, we were mates, no matter what we went through nothing would've changed that.

The End