2

Age: 11

It had been five months since I learned about my mate. Papa and Mama were both still treating me like I was made of glass. They kept buying me things, blankets, pillows, clothes, games, and books, the list was never-ending. Honestly, I had a feeling that the only reason they were buying me blankets was so that I'd have enough for when he would need to restock.

I hated knowing my mate so early. There was a reason that werewolves didn't know who their mates were until they turned 18. We had to have time to grow, learn things, and bond with our wolves, but now I couldn't do any of that.

Oliver couldn't fully tell who our mate was, but because we were told he was our mate, he felt the pull. Every time he had to restock, Oliver would go crazy for the old blanket before Mom had the chance to wash it.

We should do it. Oliver said as I looked at the laundry basket that was empty aside from the blanket that he dropped off. Mom tried to wash them as soon as he got them but for some reason, he didn't that day.

We shouldn't. What if we get in trouble? I replied as I took a step toward the basket. I was home alone, a rare occurrence for anyone in my family.

Before fully thinking about the consequences, I grabbed the blanket and ran to my room. Once there, I sat on my bed with the blanket in my hands.

Smells like mate. Oliver said which caused my brows to come together. I didn't want that, I didn't want my mate yet. I wanted time to be a kid, wanted time to learn about Oliver without him being mate-crazed.

I wanted to throw the blanket away from me, but I couldn't. It smelled like fresh water from a stream, moss growing on the rocks, and dirt that was not dry but not quite mud. Slowly, I brought the blanket to my nose and took a breath in.

I felt the stress and tension leave my body as the scent washed over me. I unraveled the blanket from the ball it was in and wrapped it around myself. I laid down on my bed and buried my nose into the corner of the blanket. Before I knew it, I was falling asleep.

↫↬

I jolted awake to a door slamming shut; my bedroom door. I looked up to see both my parents staring down at me with wide eyes. I looked down at myself, confused, and saw the blanket was still wrapped around me.

"I-it's not- I didn't- Oliver made me!" I cried out causing their shock to break. They both came and sat down next to me. Papa tried to pull the blanket off of me but I wouldn't let it go.

"Felix, it's alright to find comfort in your mate's scent, it's normal." Mama began to talk but I cut him off.

"But I don't want it! I don't want him to comfort me. I wouldn't even have this stupid blanket in my hands if it wasn't for Oliver. I can't even let go of it."

↫↬

Age: 13

Oliver growled loudly at the girl as she stepped closer to me in the lunch line. "Hey Felix, I was wondering if you're doing anything this Friday? Maybe we can hang out? You know, just the two of us?" She said as she batted her eyelashes at me.

I shoved my hands into my hoodie and turned so my back was to her. "Can't, not allowed," I said and blocked her out as she began to complain and ask for me to sneak out to see her.

Like we would ever do that- HEY! What if we snuck out to see our mate? Can we? Can we? Please? Oliver began to plead, making me groan out loud.

"Please just shut up," I mumbled. The girl must've thought I was talking to her because she gasped and stomped away.

It'd been two years since Oliver and I learned about our mate. To say it'd been stressful would be an understatement. Once I went through puberty, my parents basically had me on lockdown. I went from home to school and couldn't go anywhere on my own.

I knew that they trusted me, but I think they didn't trust my mate. They had made it clear that we were to stay away from each other until I was old enough. But I knew that I had seen him a few times, through windows at school, in the forest behind my house.

A part of me wanted to see him, meet him. But a bigger part of me still despised him for taking away my childhood.

 But a bigger part of me still despised him for taking away my childhood