27

It had been a few days since we had taken Clover in, and just like I had thought, he had grown very attached to me. I had told him my name but he refused to use it, instead he called me poppa. I had almost cried when he first called me that, it wasn't even a big deal. I was making him food and when he thanked me, he called me poppa.

I looked down at Angus as he slept, I gently pushed his hair out of his face. He stirred awake slowly from the contact. I smiled down at him and said, "Are you excited for our day with Clover?"

"I'm excited to spend time with you," Was his response.

"Come on, I have a picnic planned. We'll spend all day in the forest together. We are going to have a great time. Everything is already ready, we just have to get ready and leave."

"Alright, alright. We'll leave a little bit after breakfast."

I smiled sweetly at him before getting out of bed to get Clover ready. I wanted to set up Clover's room how he wanted it, but I knew that if I did that before we agreed on keeping him it would end badly. I knew that Angus would eventually want to keep Clover. He was such a sweet kid, there was no way that Angus wouldn't want to keep him.

I knocked softly on the door of the guest bedroom before opening the door. My heart skipped and I frowned when I saw the bed empty, "Clover?" There was a squeak from under the bed before Clover crawled out from under it.

"What were you doing under there, bud?"

"It's safe, like cave."

"Clover, you're safe here. You don't have to hide like that." I said as I sat down on the bed, pulling him up with me.

"Too open up here. Mommy said not safe," He said again.

I hummed and nodded, "I'll think of something so that you can sleep up on the bed. Soon, you'll be too big to go under the bed."

Once we were done talking, we got up and met Angus in the kitchen for breakfast.

↫↬

I smiled down at Clover as he giggled loudly while running with a ribbon in his hand. We had just finished lunch an hour before. Clover was having such a fun time playing games.

"It's getting late, love, we should get going." Angus said as Clover ran over to us. Clover frowned and looked at the ground.

"Clover, are you ready?" I asked as I began to pack away the dirty plates and games we had brought.

"Y-yea, bye bye Poppa." Clover said sadly as tears began to fall from his little eyes.

"Why are you saying bye?" Angus asked softly.

"Cause I stay here and you guys go home. But is fine, I'm happy I got to know Poppa and Momma. Pack was fun." While he said that, tears began to flow down his face faster until he was sobbing. He tightly gripped the bottom of his shirt in his fists.

Before I could say anything to Clover, Angus knelt down beside him and hugged him. "I meant all of us, Hun. We are all going home." Hearing that, Clover broke down crying while clinging to Angus.

I gently pried him off of Angus to carry him back.

↫↬

After laying a sleeping Clover down in his bed, Angus and I laid down on our own. I opened my mouth to speak but before I could, Angus began crying.

"I-I'm so sorry, you were right. He is so sweet, h-he called me momma." He buried his face in my chest, his tears soaking my shirt.

"So you think adoption is right for us?" I teased while smiling and rubbing his back gently. "I'm close to finding another home for him if you're still not sure." I was joking, of course, but Angus quickly looked at me with a piercing glare.

"You are not giving my baby to someone else." As if the words registered in his own mind, his eyes widened in shock. "I-I need to apologize to your parents."