10

I smiled happily up at my mate in his reading hammock from my own spot on the couch. It didn't take long for us to finish our apartment. It was twenty days after we had picked out furniture and paints. Our apartment was fully set up, and no longer smelled of paint as our own scents began to stick to the walls.

A sigh left my lips as my phone alarm began to go off. "It's time to go, Kitten." I called up to him, he mumbled something and shifted but didn't come down. I focused on listening and found that his breath was shallow and his heart was slow and steady. "Come on, Kitten, we need to go." I called up to him as I stood from my seat.

I didn't really think this reading spot of his through. How am I supposed to wake him up when he falls asleep like this? I asked Oliver as I stared up at my mate. I was met with no response and sighed. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I thought before taking a deep breath.

"Angus!" I shouted loudly. I sharply inhaled as Angus jumped and tumbled out of his hammock. I jerked forward to catch him but sighed in relief when he caught himself with his wings.

He glared at me angrily as he crossed his arms, "Why would you do that?" he demanded.

"I tried to wake you up but you didn't, I had to yell." I explained, but his glare didn't falter. "I know you don't want to hear this but even when angry you look like a kitten." I smiled at him.

His glare softened as he shook his head at me. "Let's just get going to your parents'." He said as he made his way to our bedroom.

Something I didn't really think about when we had agreed to move in together was our sleeping arrangement. Obviously I knew that we were going to share a bed. But I didn't realize how aware I had to be while sleeping. Angus' wings were extremely delicate so I couldn't move in my sleep. The chances of damaging them were too high, even if it was subconscious. It made me wonder on more than one instance if it were possible for him to retract them somehow.

I smiled at Angus as he flew out of the bedroom, he had on his normal pair of black pants and a pastel purple sweatshirt. I opened the front door for him and tried not to frown at his outfit.

"Hey, I was wondering." I started as we walked to my parents' house. "You seem to always be wearing the same pair of black pants when we leave the apartment. When we are home, you tend to stick to shorts, which I really like by the way. I mean you just look-"

Angus cut me off with a giggle, "stay on track."

I shook my head of those thoughts and nodded at him. "Right. My point, you always wear the same pair of black pants. Why?"

"W-well, how do you know they are the same pair and I don't just have a bunch of the same kind?" He asked, obviously trying to avoid answering.

"Unless every single pair of your black pants has the exact same broken belt loop and small tear on the butt, I know for a fact that they are the same." His face grew red as he looked away. I stopped walking and pulled him to hover in front of me, I gently moved his head so we were looking into each other's eyes. "I just want to know that everything is alright. If you need more clothes, I'll get them for you; you don't even need to ask."

"I-it's just where I was living before, I couldn't keep a lot of clothes. So I guess I just got used to only having one pair of pants."

"Alright, well that changes now. I'm going to fill your side of the closet with so many clothes you won't know what to do with them," I smiled widely at him, causing him to shake his head at me with a small smile.

↫↬

Awkward silence filled the air as my family, Angus, and I sat at the dinner table. Mom had wanted to throw a dinner party to celebrate Angus and I moving in together but it seemed like not everyone thought it was a good idea.

Pa sat at the head of the table, glaring daggers at Angus. Mom sat to his right while I to his left. Angus was next to me and my little brother Bennett sat next to him. At the other end of the table was Galaxy and their mate, squished together on two chairs that were basically one with how close together they were. To their left was our little sister Artimsis, then finally Elliot.

Bennett was 9, even so young he looked exactly like our father. Artimsis was 16, she had light brown curly hair with hazel eyes. Elliot looked sad at the age of 17, his light brown hair hung over his blue eyes.. Galaxy looked just the same at 21.

"So, it's been months. Is anyone going to wish me a happy birthday?" I joked, trying to start a conversation.

"Very funny Bean but we already had a dinner for your 20th birthday," Mom said while smiling. I made a face at him and his eyes widened in understanding. "Hami, how has it been living here at Green Moon?"

"It's been great. Although I don't really leave our apartment that much," He smiled at Mom. I was glad to see that at least one of my parents liked my mate.

"Have the two of you given any thoughts to kids?" Mom asked, trying hard to keep the conversation going but Dad scoffed at the question.

I looked at him and frowned, "What is your problem? You've been in a shit mood since we got here," I asked.

"I just don't like him, I never did. I couldn't forgive him after he kidnapped your mother." He said, causing Angus to shrink into himself. I gently grabbed his hand in mine.

I stood up and said, "If you don't like him then you don't like me. Mom, thank you for having us but we are leaving."

As I walked out of the dining room with Angus in tow, I heard Mom say, "Jay, honey, we talked about that. It was just a misunderstanding and Hami wasn't even the one that took me."

"