six. lost time

»»————- ★ ————-««

( six. lost time )

»»————- ★ ————-««

Imagine her relief when Howard came to talk to her later the next day to tell her that he believed her ridiculous (and really messed up) story.

He even told her that he had asked the SSR to arrange an extra room at the base for her to stay in (without mentioning that, of course), that way, while he's staying for the meantime to help out with Project Rebirth, he could simply drop by to help her whenever they need to discuss her 'time travelling' situation.

Of course, that meant she had to move out from Becca's apartment. Ellie was devastated to see her go, poor girl, and it was Natasha's first experience in her life at how much it hurt to see a little girl cry because of you. She gave her a tight hug, telling her that she's off to do her 'princess' duties for the meantime.

Becca, on the other hand, was suspicious again, to say the least, knowing that SSR doesn't just give out any room to a common nurse in their base. She played it off by simply saying that she must have made an impression on them and remarked that she forked up a good enough money to provide herself a room (eh, alright, not exactly true).

"Here," she handed her a sealed envelope.

"What's this?" Becca looked at it, perplexed.

"My debt."

And she didn't even get the chance to hand it to her when she quickly refused. "No, Anne."

"Becca, after everything you and Ellie have done for me—"

"You're being preposterous." Natasha arched an eyebrow, amused by her use of crafty words. She rolled her eyes, smiling, "Besides, I think having a princess stay in our house is enough payment, don't you think?"

  ————————————————————————————    

"So, what does this thing do?"

She turned around to find Howard holding her watch up to his eye. "It serves to monitor the time left for me to stay here. You see that percentage number? It's the battery life of the watch."

He looked at her for confirmation, "You mean you have a time limit? Is that what you're saying?"

"Yes."

"Until what?"

She huffed a breath. "Until I disappear."

Howard looked at her, dumbfounded like he had misheard her. "You... disappear?"

"Die, or whatever you like to call it. Point is, I need to get back to my time before that battery dies out."

"And you've been here for how long?"

"Eight days."

"Well, at least the battery's not dying out fast. It's only about eighty-five percent, and if it continues at this rate, I suspect that you still have approximately five weeks left until you... die."

That didn't sound like good news, but it was the closest thing to a good news that she heard ever since she came here, and she'll take all that she could get. "Alright, so what are we looking at here? What do you need me to do?"

He leaned back on his char, "You said that you got transported in time through a machine that harnesses its power from a very powerful source?"

"Yes."