twenty one. spoken truth

track suggestion to listen to for this chapter: sunshine

»»————- ★ ————-««

( twenty one. spoken truth )

»»————- ★ ————-««

Natasha adjusted her eyes to the sudden lights greeting her as soon as she opened them. She hadn't realized that she had already fallen asleep. She glanced at her side to see a familiar looking man sitting on a chair and looked half-asleep.

"Howard?" she asked.

It was enough to jolt him awake and almost fall from his chair.

She laughed in amusement. "Smooth."

He narrowed his eyes, straightening his clothes. "About time you wake up, Sleeping Beauty."

"How long was I out?"

"Two hours to say the least." He answered. "Anyway, listen, there was actually someone calling out for your name at the front desk earlier. Some lad named James Dan? Den? Uh... I forgot his last name."

Tony.

"Seems pretty fishy. I thought you don't get out too much to make friends?" He raised an eyebrow.

She shrugged. "I can make friends just fine. Even if I don't get out too much." She replied smugly.

He rolled his eyes. "Well, whoever he is, that guy seems pretty desperate to talk to you."

She started to sit up and swung her legs over the side of the bed. "Then I'll talk to him right now."

Howard stared at her in disbelief. "What? You can't possibly do that right now."

"Oh, yes I could." She returned evenly. "I can walk and do as I please just fine."

"The front desk is at the other side of the base. It would take a long walk for you to get there by yourself. I doubt you're in the right condition to walk that far. We can't afford you to trip and stumble over the hallways." He said.

She stepped down to slip on her shoes. "I won't trip nor stumble in anyone's way, don't worry."

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose at her stubbornness. "Fine, then at least let me take you there."

"It's okay, I got this."

"That's a long way and it's going to be hard without someone assisting you—"

"I can take the shorter route." She interjected.

He looked at her like she had just lost his marbles. "What do you mean shorter route? Don't talk about the base like you're in the field. There's no routes in the base!"

She didn't have time for this. "Just go to your office or something. I know you're busy and you have work. Thank you for using some of your time to stay with me until I woke up."

His jaw dropped. He couldn't believe this. "Wait, hold up. Did I mishear or did you actually thank me?"

Natasha rolled her eyes but couldn't keep the amused grin etching on her face. "Don't make a big fuss about it."

"Because it is a big fuss."

She threw a smile over her shoulder. "See you, Stark."

  ————————————————————————————