fourteen. unwanted feelings

»»————- ★ ————-««

( fourteen. unwanted feelings )

»»————- ★ ————-««

"Do you know the consequences that await the both of us if the senator finds out about this?"

"Yes, sir. But—"

"And do you know how difficult is the situation you've put me through?"

Peggy bit down on her tongue to suppress the bitter remark rising on the back of her throat.

She really was in trouble. And being 'pissed off' was an understatement to describe the colonel as soon as they arrived and found out that Steve was gone. Apparently, the senator threw a fit when they had to cancel one of Captain America's shows because the Captain himself wasn't present.

Colonel Phillips was got a hell of a lecture.

And he was now passing this earful lecture to her.

He walked over to the typewriter and pulled out a piece of paper. With both hands, he tore it in between. "That just describes how safe are you in keeping your ranking, Agent Carter."

She kept her lips tight, exhaling in a furious breath.

"I can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the army's number one weapons contractor. You are neither one!"

"With respect sir, I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain Rogers and Agent Klein did either."

"You know, when I brought in my decision to promote her I didn't know she was going to be this goddamn infuriating. She's more trouble than the rest of our men combined. But now I guess I won't even get a chance to throw her out when we're all going to be."

"She did what she thought what's right. And that is to help the Captain."

"Of course, because Rogers had to drag in his little girlfriend in here, doesn't he?" Phillips snarled.

Peggy tensed up, quickly disapproving off the idea as soon as it was out. "She's not his girlfriend, Colonel."

"Jesus."

"Did I say something wrong, sir?"

"If I hadn't known you well enough, Agent Carter, I'd like to think that you're showing the most childish act an agent could possibly show."

"And what is that?"

"Jealousy."

Peggy narrowed her eyes. She scoffed, refusing to believe such an accusation. "With all due respect, Colonel Philips, I am not jealous."

"Whatever."

Keeping the idea out of her head, she still tried to change his mind. "Colonel, I think they made a good decision of going after the soldiers—"

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions?" He interjected, sharply. "I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's golden boy and a lot of other good men are dead... because you had a crush."

"It wasn't that. I had faith."

"Well, I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down."

She rolled her eyes in irritation.

Then something happened. A noise ensued outside. She peeked over the tent and saw numerous soldiers running around and shouting in joy.