two. familiar faces

track suggestion to listen to for this chapter: sunshine

»»————- ★ ————-««

( two. familiar face )

»»————- ★ ————-««

"I'll be back before noon."

"Okay, mama."

"There's still some leftovers in the fridge, heat it up if you two get hungry."

"Yes, mama."

"And remember—"

"Don't go out of Brooklyn, take Anne for a makeover and shopping, and don't annoy her too much. Yes, mama, I got it."

Natasha let out an amused chuckle at her witty response. 

Becca rolled her eyes, before crouching down to give her daughter a kiss. "Alright, fine. I'm the overprotective mother." She murmured through her hair, making her let out a giggle. "You sure you're fine? I could just take off from work today."

This time, it was her turn to roll her eyes. They've already discussed this three times now and she convinced her that they were going to be okay. Ellie seems like the type of kid who's smart enough to be on her own, well, not smart enough to trust a stranger like her but she wasn't complaining. She enjoyed her company, regardless.

"We're going to be fine, Becca. Ellie would be a good tour guide, won't you?"

She grinned widely, jumping excitedly, "Yes!"

"Okay, don't have too much fun." Becca reminded, then finally, leaving them be to go to work. 

Natasha figured that she could just apply for the job tomorrow, spending her time today to get to know the place a bit. 

"Are you ready to go, princess?" Ellie asked.

"Lead the way, sugar."

Becca had been nice enough to lend her one of her dresses for the meantime. Yet it still wasn't enough to stop the others from staring at her- particularly, her hair. She assumed bright hair colors wasn't a common thing at this time, their hair dye must be pretty bland.

They first stopped by at a clothing store. With the help and advice from Ellie, she bought herself the appropriate outfits that would suit her and blend in smoothly. She bought two dresses, a skirt, two blouses, and a pair of black pumps. She didn't know how long was she staying here, but she had to make sure she was prepared that she was going to be staying longer than she intended to be.

After finally getting enough clothes, they went to the salon after. Even though changing her hair wasn't a new thing for her, she still gets a little wrapped up in choosing a hairstyle that would change her looks but not her. Normally, she'd stick to a color similar to her natural color but this time, she wasn't going to take any chances.

She would need to look completely different.

So, she settled on the most common hair color of women—blonde.

She tried to sit still while the hairstylist was working her way through her hair, and she had to swallow down the feeling of anxiety when the scissors cut her strands to a shorter length. After trimming it, they were starting to dye her red hair. 

Ellie was being a patient little girl by reading a magazine on the couch while waiting for her to get done. Natasha smiled at the sight, she really was something.