fifteen. cold shoulder

»»————- ★ ————-««

( fifteen. cold shoulder )

»»————- ★ ————-««

Steve was finally and officially given the ranking of Captain.

And she? Well, she still managed to maintain her job. It did nothing to lessen Phillips disapproval of her, though. Anyway, the feeling is mutual.

They had been all called in a meeting from their Captain.

She had been given a new set of uniform; an ash-brown pencil skirt that reaches her knees, a white blouse, and a blazer with the same color as her skirt. She was given military badges to pin on her. It looked far different than the skinned-tight leather suit she wears as an Avenger, but she liked this look on her. Vintage.

By the time she got to the office, Steve and Peggy were already there.

She couldn't explain why, knowing that Steve had no fault in this, but as soon as she saw him a momentary of fury passed through her. The memory of him flirting with Peggy quickly shot up her mind. She heaved a sigh of irritation as soon as he came into her view.

No matter how much handsome he looked in that military uniform. Dear Lord.

An octagonal table was centered in the room, placed above it was different maps of the world. There were little flags marking the place they needed to go to, and small poles that she was sure represented the HYDRA bases.

"Good morning, Agent Klein." Peggy greeted her with a kind smile.

She could see Steve glanced at her mentioned name. She nodded curtly. "Good morning Agent Carter," He turned to Steve, condemning her voice to a withdrawn tone. He was shortly smiling at her. "Captain Rogers,"

Steve furrowed his eyebrows, dropping the smile. His heart sunk a bit when he was taken aback by her sudden coldness. He returned it evenly, "Agent Klein,"

It only struck the fire within her even more. Her eyes burned. Hot. Melting.

Rogers, you should know never to fight fire with fire.

Peggy easily detected the tension between the two, noticing their full-on glaring. Natasha, especially. "So," She tried to divert the topic away. "We were just discussing the HYDRA bases."

That seemed to bring Steve back to reality. "Right. The fifth one was here in Poland, right near the Baltic. The sixth one was... about here," He started pinpointing all the locations on the map laid out on the table by marking it with a dot. "Probably, thirty, forty miles west of the Maginot line."

One soldier came in to take away the map.

Steve flashed Peggy a smile. Completely ignoring her. "I just got a quick look."

She quirked an eyebrow, giving a lopsided smirk. "Well, nobody's perfect."

He kept his eyes trained on her figure as she walked towards the other side of the room, having that lost look in his eyes.

She felt like pulling her hair out in frustration. He definitely does not understand the language of women. Hotly, she brushed past him. Making sure that he would smell the anger radiating from her.

Sure enough, he did. "Anne." She ignored him, walking briskly to head over where Peggy and Phillips were. His tone became firmer. "Agent Klein."

He stopped as soon as she did. She took in a deep breath, turned around to give him the fakest innocent smile she could muster. "Is there a problem, Captain Rogers?"