eight. first meetings

»»————- ★ ————-««

( eight. first meetings )

»»————- ★ ————-««

Everything happened so fast.

After that gunshot, a man suddenly bolted straight to the door.

Peggy, without question, ran after him.

The next thing she knew she was already on the ground beside the doctor, trying to put pressure on his bullet wound while Becca and the other nurses took out the medical supplies from the cabinet behind them.

Steve, as she had expected, also caught up to them and followed Peggy outside.

Becca took over for her while they tried to revive him. They even contemplated on taking him to a hospital when the defibrillators weren't working, but eventually and unfortunately, he stopped breathing and flat-lined.

Natasha stared at him for a moment in shock. Anger surge through her. She needed to find this man. She needed to.

Before she knew what she was doing, she was heading straight to the door as well.

Howard grabbed her arm before she could take a step further. "Where are you going?" he hissed.

"Where do you think?"

"You are going to blow your cover."

"No, I'm not."

She ripped her arm out of his grip and hurried towards the doors.

"Anne!"

She pushed it open and ran outside, kicking off her heels and throwing away her nurse cap in the process. By the time she got out, only Peggy was there while Steve was nowhere to be found.

"Where did they go?"

Peggy looked stunned to see her out here. "Nurse Klein?"

"Where did they go, Agent Carter?" she repeated.

Despite filled with confusion, she pointed at the direction where they had gone off. "Wait, why am I even telling you this, are you planning to run after them?" Her eyes landed on the pistol in her hand and she grabbed it without explanation. Peggy's confused look turned into shock. "You can't possibly do that!"

She ripped off the bottom part of her skirt.

"Don't even think about it." Peggy warned, now sounding pissed off.

"Never do."

Then she dashed off without another word, ignoring Peggy's calls behind her. It felt like a lifetime since she had felt so active and burning with purpose again. She didn't care if people were giving her strange looks or the way her feet were picking up on the filth on the streets of Brooklyn.

She just ran. And ran. And ran.

Finally, she caught sight of a man on top of a yellow cab and presumed it was Steve. They disappeared when the cab rounded a corner. She followed her instincts and slipped onto one of the alleys until she had finally caught up with them. She hid behind a wall and prepped up her pistol.

The cab toppled over and the man scrambled to get out.

There were two more men waiting there as Steve tried to catch their suspect. He held up the cab's door as a shield while the other men tried to shoot at him and their main guy took a kid as a hostage.