Winners & Home

At the beginning of this semester, Jeongguk would not have thought so many things could change in his life, his life could change

At the beginning of this semester, Jeongguk would not have thought so many things could change in his life, his life could change. Looking at it now — he was glad it did.

There was so much he was thankful for.

For finding a  reliable friend he could lean on. For reuniting with his childhood friend. For meeting his amazing seniors. For finding himself a place in the basketball team. For winning the Seasons with them. For a boyfriend who loved him so much.

For — Kim Taehyung, his everything.

Jeongguk looked at the man his side was firmly pressed on. All these colourful emotions burst in the atmosphere. He loved every bit of it. It filled his life with colours, it was not necessarily black anymore.

"I was so cool back there, wasn't I Gguk?"

Smiling, Jeongguk nodded his head. "So, so cool." He admitted, boosting the ex captain, Yuki's pride which was already meeting the ceiling of the bus.

He could feel his side shifting, pushing him a tad away. "What's the matter, Taehyungie hyung?" He asked his boyfriend, almost ready to laugh when noticed his expression.

"You never say that to me."

Being the little devil he was, Jeongguk purposely pressed on the matter. "Say what, Taehyungie?" Taehyung widened his eyes not believing he was doing it.

"Like you don't know."

"I don't know. Hyungie, tell me." Jeongguk said through his pout.

"Fine, it's whatever." That said, the older looked out of the window, not bothering to even snap back when his seniors called him out for being unreasonable. That was his boyfriend, okay?

Jeongguk snuggled himself more against Taehyung, "You're super duper cool, Tae. You shouldn't ask for it otherwise I'd have to say that all the damn time." he sighed dramatically.

"Yo!" Taehyung turned to face the younger, with a scowl plastered on his face. "Who even allowed you to be this adorable?" He wrapped his arm around his shoulder and rubbed his face against his neck, making Jeongguk giggle.

"You know?" Jeongguk hummed, a smile audible in his tone. "I have a surprise for you." The younger abruptly looked in his eyes as if asking what the surprise was. "Just in time." Taehyung breathed out when the bus came to halt.

Confusing Jeongguk even more when he got up causing him to get up too. Because clearly that was not their stop. And why even would a booked vehicle make stops in between?

"Thanks, Coach and everyone. 'was a good game today. Thank you for your efforts." Taehyung bade everyone, others doing the same. Was it just Jeongguk in the blind?

"Um, Taehyungie hyung?" The boy finally said after the bus had left and they stood in an almost deserted bus stop.

"Shush!" Taehyung kept smiling in complacency  throughout the impromptu bus journey.

It was almost surprising for Jeongguk when he discovered that Taehyung was aware of the only bus that they will be boarding and at that time. Jeongguk knew the route, of course. He doubted Taehyung did too.

You never know. Taehyung's father is a big man and his reach nation wide. He was not interested in all that if he were to be honest. It's just that his mother has had some weird obsession with news regarding business, specifically his boyfriend's father.

He never questioned though.

"Baby, we're here." It was all too familiar as the two boys got off the bus, taking in the surrounding. Vendors hawking, kids running around, elders bustling to work; he was raised here, how could he not know.

Taehyung's hopeful eyes and outstretched smile spoke a lot. "Hyung . . ."

"Jeongguk? Sweetheart, is it you?" His heart raced. How much he missed that voice. Slowly, he dared to turn and met the most beautiful face.

"Mom . . ." the boy whispered. Without a second thought he buried himself in her bosom. He craved this warmth. It felt like he was home again. "I missed you so much, Ma. I was so worried, how are you? I'm sorry you have to do everything alone, I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, Jeongguk-ah." She let out a heart chuckle. "I'm fit and fine. Stop apologizing Sweetheart." Those old, experienced doe eyes met a lean figure standing his ground firmly, she pulled away from her child. A smile of content danced on his lips which reflected his pride.

Taking it as his cue to introduce himself, the boy stretched out his hand. "Ah, hello. I'm Kim Taehyung, we talked on the phone one night . . . if you remember?" He added the last bit hesitantly. Maybe she remembered him?

A smile, somewhat different from Jungkook's stretched on her lips. "Kim Taehyung . . . " The name rolled out of her tongue as if she was used to it. Had known it better than the boy himself. It had a nostalgic ring to it.

"Yes, my boy. I remember." She smiled at him. "Thank you for befriending Jeongguk." There, she said those words again.

Those words evoked Taehyung's curiosity. Does it mean something or perhaps it's a simple gesture of gratitude?

Before he could question her, Jeongguk started whining. "Hyung . . . Mom . . . You two sure know how to strike a conversation in the middle nowhere. Why don't we go home, cozy down and then chat, hm? Doesn't that sound nice?"

"Sure baby." Taehyung chuckled along with the lady until it was cut short upon his dawning realisation. "I mean . . . your baby, no,  Bambi . . . yes, his eyes is like Bambi, the deer? Yep, Bambi."

The woman stared at him with amazement. Just how much could he dig himself in? "Tae, Taehyungie hyung stop. She knows."

"Oh."

That was all that came out of the older boy's mouth. "Why didn't you tell me? I was so . . . I embarrassed myself."

Jeongguk's mother chortled at that. "Always be true to yourself, son. Be the same." A fond happy atmosphere bubbled around the three of them as they walked towards the residence.

"Our place not too big but home sweet home." Jeongguk scratched the nape of his nape stepping into the threshold.

Taehyung seemed to like it. A very aromatic essence tickled his nose. Definitely incense sticks. Jeongguk's family must be religious, he first thought. "Your father's not home?"

The supposed smile withered from the young man's face. Right, his father. Jeongguk does not mention his father much. Stupid of him to forget that. "Wait, is this you?" He quickly switched the topic, dissipating the tension in air.

Picking up the wooden frame on top of the small fireplace, Taehyung's happiness knew no bound. After all it is a forbidden privilege of a man to see their significant other's childhood pictures.

"You were so cute. You still are! But look  how adorable you are . . . " He drawled when he saw the shy smile on his lover's face. "You're so cute."

The mother was left to adore the boys from afar. A fond smile playing on her lips. "Come on boys. Freshen up, I'll fix you two some snacks, hm?"

The two of them were just leaving when she interrupted again. "Oh, Jeongguk-ah why don't you introduce your guardian angel to Taehyungie first?"

Guardian angel? Taehyung, cluelessly watched between the son and the mother. "Alright!" Jeongguk smiled at that. But his mother — there was an apologetic smile on her face.

And it left an unsettling feeling in him, that was for sure.

Ending it here cause... huhu there's a surprise (or maybe not) awaiting in the next chapter!

🍂 1st Feb 2023