Chapter 4: The Owl House

Hunter, Eda, and Luz land and Darius regains his form and places his hands on Hunter's shoulders, "I know this is hard for you - Belos was , at one point, your only family. And it's fine if you don't know how to handle everything. But don't forget to reach out if you need something. I want to do better by you, not just observe from the sidelines."

To Darius' surprise, Hunter steps in and gives him a quick hug, "Thanks, Darius."

Darius smiles, "Now go get some rest - you look like you're about to fall asleep on your feet."

"Yeah, kinda feel like I might...."

Camila puts an arm around his shoulder, "Come on, let's go get you to bed."

Darius shallowly bows to Camila, "Until we meet again." He waves to Luz and then spirits away in his abomination form.

Camila takes Luz's hand, "Well...that was unusual..."

"You mean Darius turning into a man made of grape jelly?"

Camila giggles, "Yes, that."

"I'm never eating grape jelly again," Hunter says. "Thanks for that visual, Luz."

Camila nods, "It's not what I would have used to describe it, but...effective. Now let's go have you introduce me to your witch mama."

They haven't reached the door yet when it flies open and Eda runs out to greet them, "Thank Titan, you're safe!" she yells, laughing, as she throws her arms around all three of them. "I'm assuming you're Luz's mom," She says to Camila as Luz bursts into tears snuggled tight against Eda.

"I was so scared you were dead!" Luz says.

"Same, witchlet," Eda says, stroking her hair with her remaining hand, "Lily and I kept trying a find a way to open a portal door, just in case you'd made it to the human realm, but we couldn't make it work."

"We found one," Luz says, sniffling, "Well...it's a little longer story than that, but-"

Her words are cut off as Lilith runs out of the house with someone following, Hooty alongside her, "Luz! Hunter!" she calls, giggling with excitement, "How?!"

"I'll tell you in a little bit," Luz says, "but it's been a really rough day."

"Luz! Hoot hoot!"

"Hey, Hooty - it's good to see you, too."

From behind Lilith, a familiar voice says, "Hey Hunter! Good to see you."

Slightly confused, he peers around her as Steve steps into view, "Um...hi?" a flicker of panic in his eyes.

"Don't worry - not a scout anymore," Steve hurries to reassure him, "Not with the Emperor at all. Bailed before the Day of Unity and never looked back."

Hunter warily nods, "Yeah, OK."

Sensing the tension, Eda turns to Hunter, "It's alright - Steve's with us now. He's been Lily's friend for a long time. He's OK."

"Let's get inside," Lilith says, "You all look tired."

"I'm Eda, by the way," she says, introducing herself to Camila, "This is my sister, Lilith, my weird house owl tube, Hooty, and Lily's friend from her coven days, Steve."

"What about King?" Luz asks, "Did he make it?"

Eda nods, "Yeah, but he's rarely here. The Collector's taken a liking to him. There's some history there between the god-child and Titans and we're still trying to sort that out so King can come home. He's been able to visit a few times, but you can tell it's not enough." She looks to Camila as they enter the house, "So I understand a lot more how you felt when Luz was here. One of my kids is trapped somewhere he can't leave."