Chapter 8: Making Home

Over the following days, whenever one of the teens becomes overwhelmed or needs to retreat from the planning, from incoming intelligence, or the questions that keep coming about the Day of Unity and the Collector, they meet in the closet. Hunter brings in pillows and blankets to make a nest. Willow finds a little lamp and some books, and Gus pilfers snacks from both the kitchen and home to build up a stash. Amity and Luz contribute toys, pictures, games and other amusements and decorations that make it feel more like home.

After a string of particularly long days, some meetings at headquarters, some at the school as they make sure they have the means to keep the children safe while they learn, the five friends stay at the Owl House with Eda while Camila spends some time at Hexside with Lilith and Principal Bump to see what it's like.

The teens have created a blanket and pillow nest on the bed and are relaxing cuddled together when Eda brings a bedside tray and then returns with snacks, "Hey, kids. Thought you might want something to eat."

"Thanks, Eda," Luz says.

"Any chance you want a few minutes with your chaotic auntie? I'm bored and Hooty's doing something with Steve."

"Sure," Amity says, "We were just talking about what we miss about the human realm and what we miss from before the Day of Unity."

"Oh? Care to share?"

"Well a lack of Belos would be a big one," Gus says, "No big bads trying to get us, some cool movies and stuff, this one show we all loved...playing in Camila's basement with the stuff we found in the closet."

"I miss the quiet," Amity says, "And I got to dance in the rain."

"That was pretty amazing," Willow adds, "I never thought rain could just be plain ol' water, not boiling."

"I miss our cabin, too," Amity continues, "We made it our own. And I hope when we get back to visit, its still there."

"I miss a lot," Hunter says, "I wasn't always this scared there. And I could just be a normal kid. I wasn't the former Golden Guard. I wasn't the Emperor's nephew. I was just Hunter. I could make mistakes and learn what I wanted and play and I never felt like I was any different than anybody else. Camila never knew what the title meant, so it didn't matter. And I really miss Vee."

"Me too," Amity says, "She was the little sister I never knew I wanted."

"I hope she's OK," Willow says, "I need to see her again and know she's safe."

"Safer than she would be here," Luz says, "We'll go back to see her. And some day, she'll come here. But when she's ready."

"Vee's so cool," Gus says, "I miss her, too."

"Camila told us a bit about her," Eda says, "She sounds like a neat person. I'd like to meet her some day."

"Well yeah," Luz replies, "She's our sister – of course you'll meet her. She needs to meet my witch mom and cool aunt Lily."

Eda beams, "Awww, you're a doll." She notices Hunter looks lost in thought, "You OK, Hunter?"

"I'm just thinking about what I miss from here. There was a lot wrong with life in the castle, but...it was home. And there were things in my room that reminded me of happy memories. I know some of them are kinda ruined now...how do I see anything Belos did with me without thinking he was just gaining my trust so he could use me? But I still wish I could have some of it. There's some gifts from the coven heads – maybe they were told they had to give me stuff, but still.... I don't want everything, but I'd like the ones from Darius, at least. I mean, I think they were from him. He wasn't allowed to give them to me himself. Everything I ever got, Belos handed me and told me who they were from." He sighs, "I feel like I have to question everything. Titan, he really did keep me from trusting anybody but him...even myself."