Chapter 28: Recovery

At headquarters, Alador very carefully moves Hunter from the cushion of abomination matter to one of the lower bunks. Willow pulls up a chair to sit beside him. She can tell he's in pain, though he tells her not to worry, he'll be fine, through gritted teeth.

Willow bends in and kisses his forehead, "Stop," she whispers, "You're not OK. And you don't have to pretend that you are."

"I'm scared, Will."

"I've got you. We'll get you through this."

Viney and Emira drop into their own bunks and immediately fall asleep. Edric crawls in bed beside his sister and snuggles against her, whispering how proud he is of her.

Amity comes to see Willow and Hunter, very gently resting her hand on his shoulder, "I'm glad you're still with us. That...was scary. But you made it."

"Yeah. I did."

"Rest. Let everybody take care of you," She looks to Willow, "Are you doing OK?"

She nods, "As best as I can be."

"Look...I know you don't ask for help much, but if I had seen Luz laying there like that...I'd be a mess. I know this can't be as easy for you as you're making it look. So let us know if you need anything. Luz, Gus, and I are here for you. Even if that's just having one of us sit and keep watch while you go get some sleep."

Willow nods, "Thanks, Amity. How's Camila?"

"Camila's going to be fine. She's sore, and she has a lot of bruises, but the healer says she'll be alright. Honestly, I'm surprised that's all anybody seems to have, for the most part – scrapes, bruises, some crushed fingers and toes, and Skara might have a broken arm, but overall...we're OK."

Hunter shifts in bed and stifles a gasp; Willow shifts her attention to him, worried, "I hope the healer comes in here soon. Who is it?"

"Our teacher. Bump had Frewin get her. Apparently she lives in Latissa."

"Does she know how badly he was hurt?"

Amity nods, "Yes. She said that since we knew what Hunter'd been through, and he'd been seen by someone, he's in less danger than the people who came back here upright who were hit by something, or thrown. And I can't really argue with that," Amity says, "If somebody's got something wrong we can't see...."

Willow nods, "I get it. But he's still bleeding. It's not nearly as much, but I'm still worried."

Amity takes Hunter's hand, "Hey...hang in there. We're going to take care of you."

"Thanks, Amity," he manages, voice strained. She gives his hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm going to go sit with Luz. She's kinda freaking out...everything. But I'll come check in on you when she's calm, OK?" Hunter doesn't respond, but she nods to him, "I know you heard me. You don't have to answer." She stands and turns to Willow, "Come get me, or have someone else come get me, if you need me. No matter the reason." She leaves the room, patting Willow's shoulder briefly as she passes.

Willow moves her chair so she's sitting close to Hunter's shoulder; she rests her hand on his cheek, "I'm sorry I can't take the pain away. I could do the one where people share it, but I think you'd be pretty upset if I did."

" You don't deserve this."

"Neither do you."

"He thought I did. Betrayal, remember?"

Willow leans in and kisses his cheek, "No, Hunter. He was wrong."

"He wanted to take out my lungs while I was still alive, Will," he says, struggling with his focus, "You got there just in time." He looks up at her, "I almost died twice this time. I'm not very lucky."