Chapter 9: Castle Heist

Eda and Hunter set out early evening. They stop in Latissa to pick up Darius. He uses his abomination form to carry them quickly to the castle. They hide among the shadows of the nearby buildings that surround the outer castle wall while Hunter directs them where to go to best get into the castle.

"Why don't we just fly up to your window?" Eda asks.

"That would be a little too obvious," Darius says.

"Nah," she replies, "I'd get you to be a distraction."

Darius creates a little creature from his abomination matter, "Let's send this ahead to get an idea of what's up there." He taps on a brick low on the wall and it opens, the little creature disappearing into it.

"Well that's useful," Eda replies.

"And it'll tell us where people are in the castle, so long as we're patient," Darius says, "It'll take some time – it has a long way to go. But it's quick. Just...wait."

"You know I'm not so good at that," Eda says, "I'm more of a smash-n-grab sort of gal."

"Well we don't need to attract that kind of attention," Hunter says, "So we'll start with Darius' way."

Eda pats his shoulder, "You've got it, kid."

They wait in the shadows until the little creature comes back out of the hidden door. Darius puts it up to his ear and then reabsorbs it into his hand.

"What does it say?"

"The place seems deserted. Hunter's door was locked. It isn't anymore. It doesn't look like anybody's been in it – the dust appears undisturbed. And the window's also unlocked."

"So...I can fly across there," Eda says.

"No...still too obvious."

"Maybe not," Hunter says. He pulls a small pad of sticky notes from his pocket and carefully draws a glyph on it, pressing it to Eda's shoulder. She disappears. "It won't last long. Get over there and secure the room."

"I like the way you think," she whispers, transforming into her harpy form and taking to the sky, their only clue she's gone the air from her wings against their skin.

He turns to Darius, "Now...our turn." Darius transforms and Hunter draws two more glyphs, "Let's go." As soon as they're invisible, Darius lifts Hunter and spirits him toward the gate. It stands open, the bridge scattered with discarded contents of the castle, furniture and other items smashed to bits. The doors hang open, their hinges broken. Darius moves quickly and they reappear in the darkened castle hallway.

"What happened here?" Hunter whispers.

"Revenge for the Day of Unity," Darius says, "People stormed the castle and sacked the place, took what they wanted, destroyed what they didn't. There were a few rooms they couldn't get into – places protected by magic, doors with secret locks, that kind of thing. They went for the easy things."

Hunter looks down the wide hallway toward the throne room, "Let's get out of here as fast as we can. I don't like how it's making me feel."

Darius puts his hand on Hunter's shoulder, "I know. This place is just...wrong." They hurry through the halls, Darius' little abomination figures scouting ahead, peering around corners before they get to them.

When they get to Hunter's room, he hesitates; "Do you want me to knock?" Darius offers. Hunter nods. Darius lightly raps on the door.

Eda opens it, "Any trouble?"

"No," Darius answers, "The place is entirely deserted."

"Well let's move quick in case that changes."