Chapter 22: Preparations and Conversations

A few hours later, Hunter wakes up in the comfort closet to the sound of Willow whispering to Luz and Gus. He sits up, groggy, and Gus offers him a snack.

"Hey...you doing OK?" he asks, "And here's food."

"Thanks...I'm hungry, so good timing."

"And on the OK-ness?" Luz prompts.

"Not great, but better, now that I had time to talk some things through with Willow."

Gus nods, "Yeah, good call."

"How did the meeting go after we left?" he asks.

He shrugs, "I mean, there's a rough outline of a plan, but Bump wants to bring in Skara and Viney tomorrow. Skara's got a head for strategy that's pretty impressive and he wants her thoughts on the details."

"Oh. Care to fill me in on anything?"

"Tomorrow, we get the plan nailed down and the next day, we go for it, so long as everything looks good."

Hunter's heart sinks, "Oh. That soon."

"The sooner we strike," Luz says, "The less time he has to gather people, to lash out against families, and to come after you. And the less time the coven heads have to bring their people to the castle."

Hunter nods, "Where's Amity?"

"She went home with her dad and the twins," Gus says, "Our dads said we could fly home the same time you did. They already left, but safety in numbers, all that."

Hunter eats what Gus offers and resist the urge to curl up against Willow and try to go back to sleep, "I really don't want to be here tomorrow," he says between bites.

"I don't think it would be safe for you to stay home alone, though," Luz says, "So we'll have to talk to Eda. Maybe there'll be someone else who wants to stay in, too."

"I'll be alright. I'll just hide in here if I have to."

Gus sighs, "That's not the best plan, but it'll do if it has to. But right now...Raine and Darius wanted to meet with us still this evening to go over a few things. You and Willow take your time. They'll understand if Willow's a little late."

"Do they want to talk to me, too?" Hunter asks.

"Darius said he'd check in with you," Luz says. "He feels terrible about not remembering it was your window when he mapped where Belos was seen."

"I'm a little scared to talk to anybody, really – I feel like there's nothing anyone could say to make me feel like there's anything I could do to stay safe and also make a difference in this fight," Hunter says.

Luz stands, "Well we'll just have to see. Maybe your job will be on the sidelines. I don't know. But I know I have to go talk about mine, so stay safe and Willow, join us when you're ready." Gus and Luz walk out the door.

Willow kisses Hunter's cheek, "I'll find you when it's time to go. You can ride with me until we get to Bonesborough." He stands with her and they leave the room, stopping just outside the door for a moment.

Hunter hugs Willow tightly and rests his chin on her shoulder, "Thanks, Captain. You really are something special. And when we're ready, I'm going to feel like shouting the fact that you chose me of all people, from the rooftops."

She laughs, "Yah, same here." She gives him a squeeze and then walks away, her hand trailing along his arm before she grasps his hand, holding it until it has to drop from his, "It'll be OK." She leaves to meet the others.

Darius walks up to him from the direction Willow went, "Hey, Hunter – can we talk strategy for a minute?"

"So long as you don't expect me to remember it."