Chapter 14: Notes, Realizations, and Friendship

Eda and Lilith spend a few days with the books before returning them to the library, their stacks of notes ready for when Hunter wants to see them. At the end of the week, Willow and Gus return to their families while Hunter, Luz, Camila, and Amity go with Lilith and Eda to the Owl House. Steve greets them with lunch and asks for a briefing on what they found.

"Not much regarding Belos. We have a little better idea of what he's been up to based on some sighting reports at the Head, but there's nothing concrete. Just seems like he's somewhere near where the Day of Unity was supposed to take place," Lilith replies.

"The kids went to the library in Latissa and learned some history that might help them in their studies a bit," Eda adds, careful to dodge the subject matter for Hunter's comfort, "Gus found some really fascinating things about Galdorstones. He's looking forward to going back to Hexside so he can share some with the other illusion track kids."

"Anything on the Collector?" Steve asks.

"Not really," Camila answers, "I went through some books and didn't really see them referenced at all. Whatever they are, it might predate the library collections. Or maybe whatever they are wasn't well known. From what you've said King has been able to tell you, the Collector was part of the Titan's story, not necessarily witch history. That seems to be true, based on the lack of references anywhere."

Lilith sighs, "It's going to make dealing with them a lot messier."

Camila shrugs, "You said they're an all-powerful child, right? Perhaps defeating them isn't the angle to take. Maybe instead, we need to think about how we can talk to them like they are just a child. Maybe this doesn't have to be so hard."

"They flicked Belos into a wall and splattered him," Eda says, "And they moved an eclipse."

"True," Camila says, "But they've also spent all this time playing games and not doing much else, other than creating their play worlds and recruiting participants."

"The reality is that we know almost nothing about this being and they have the power to wipe us all out in a heartbeat. We can't just let that be the way we live until they decide to blink everything out of existence," Eda replies.

Meanwhile, in the bedroom, Luz, Amity and Hunter sit on the bed with the pile of notes between them, "So...are you sure you're ready for this?" Amity asks Hunter.

He nods, "Yeah. Let's just get it over with."

Amity picks up the first sheet of paper and starts reading it out-loud.

***

Late that evening, after Amity has gone home to her family, Hunter sits alone in the kitchen trying to sort out his thoughts. The process for making Grimwalkers was disturbing, even with the notes carefully curated. He now knows he has magic, that wasn't surprising, but the way that he was brought to life sits uneasily in his chest. He sips the tea Eda made him to try to keep him calm and lays his head down at the table.

Lilith enters the room for a glass of water and sees him, arms folded under his cheek, eyes closed, "Hunter? Are you OK?" she asks, sitting down beside him.

"Maybe. Maybe not," he says.

She sighs, "I'm not very good at comforting, but is there anything I can do to help?"

He shakes his head, "No. I don't think so. I read the notes."

"Oh...." she says, staring at her water.

"They were very good," he hurries to say, "this isn't on you. I just ...don't know who I am and how I was made...makes me uncomfortable. I just wish I was a normal kid."