Chapter 30: One Door Opens

The day after Caleb and the Golden Guards are interred, Eda, Lilith, Hooty, Camila, Luz, and Hunter return to the Owl House. They say their goodbyes to Darius and Raine in Latissa and their friends fly with them over Bonesborough, shouting goodbyes from their staves before heading home. When they land, Clover nestles in Hunter's hair, safe with him until he can return her to Willow.

As they walk toward the door, Lilith realizes there is a motorcycle in the yard; she turns to Eda, "Steve's back?"

"Well I don't know anybody else with a motorcycle."

Lilith runs toward the house, "Steve!"

The door flies open, "Lil!" he shouts, running toward her. He catches her in his arms, lifts her, and twirls her, the two of them laughing, "Word among the scouts is that the Emperor's dead. I mean, the giant 'Belos is Dust' message made out of neon stars floating above the Head a while back kinda made that obvious, but we also had a guy who saw you all coming back to Latissa looking pretty beat up."

"How long have you been back here?" Lilith asks.

"Just a few days. I was helping move scout families back out of hiding after we were sure Belos was gone."

Eda reaches them and rests her hand on Steve's shoulder, "You can be absolutely sure he's dead this time. He's just dust in a jar. Literally. He's in this bag," she says, patting the bag hanging from her shoulder.

Steve stares at it, "Um...why?"

"Well I didn't want to just leave him in Latissa and King said that the Collector insisted he stay with 'King's people' and we weren't sure if he counted Darius and Raine, or if that was just the Owl House folks, so we decided it was safest if it came with me. And just in case he spilled, I didn't want in in the backpack with our clothes. I do not want to put the former emperor through the laundry."

Steve shakes his head, "I missed a lot, didn't I?"

"Yes, yes you did," Camila says, "But we can catch you up. I'm headed inside, though – the kids' clothes are heavy...and I think someone put some books in here." She shrugs, indicating to the large bag slung across her back.

Steve sees Luz and Hunter, "Hey! Kids! I'm so glad you're safe." He offers them hugs and they accept. "The scouts that saw you all leaving Latissa were pretty worried – said they saw a kid on a stretcher covered in blood...."

"Yeah...that was me," Hunter says, "Wasn't exactly my best day. Belos nearly killed me twice."

"Wow...that sucks. Glad you made it through."

"Same here. Now I just get to figure out what to do with the rest of my life, you know? No big deal...."

Luz pats his arm, "I'm going to go in with Mom. I'll see you inside."

"I'll see you in my insides!" Hooty says.

Hunter nods, "OK, Sis. And Hooty...that's kinda creepy."

"Hoot hoot, you know it is!"

He sighs after they're gone and turns to Steve, "How do I start to figure this out? You got to be a kid, you decided to be a coven scout. I...I was born into it. I don't know what's outside that world, really."

Steve puts his hands on Hunter's shoulders, "Hunter...stop trying to figure everything out right away. You nearly died. Again. Just...go to school. Enjoy the time with your friends. And learn from the adults around you. World's gonna look different. We're not going to have an emperor, stuff's going to change...you'll find your place in it. But right now...just enjoy being a kid."