Chapter 13: Looking for Answers

One lazy afternoon in Latissa, the five teens wander the town, happy for the break from the planning. No one has seen Belos, whatever he's planning carefully hidden. The C.A.T.s have searched everywhere, including places they hadn't thought to look until one of their young friends suggested, such as the stonesleeper's cave where Philip met the Collector. He hasn't returned to the chamber where he'd built the door, he hasn't returned to the castle, and he hasn't been spotted in any of the locations Luz noted as significant in her notes from his diary.

Hunter is quiet as the others talk about their return to Hexside. He wants to be excited about the conversation he needs to have with Principal Bump, but at the same time, he's terrified of messing up. Lost in thought, he doesn't here when Gus says his name.

"Hunter? You OK?"

"Huh?"

"I asked if you're OK. You're really quiet."

"Just thinking," Hunter replies.

"About what?" Luz asks, "Anything we can help with?"

"I don't think so. I'm just worried about going to school. I want to, but...." He sighs, "I don't know any magic. I've been trying to pick up on the glyphs, but there's just so many things to remember when it comes to combining them. And what if people figure out who I am? What if they're mad at me for all the stuff I did as the Golden Guard? What if I disappoint all the teachers because I can't do things right? And what if people ask about this?" he asks, tapping the concealment stone, "I don't want to lie, but I also don't want to talk about what happened."

"That's a lot, buddy," Gus says, "Want us to answer some of those questions, or do you just need to let it out?"

"Answers, I guess."

Luz begins, "Well, for starters, the teachers aren't mad at me and I only do glyph magic. I've never done anything else. I don't have a Palisman, I can't even do that cool dash thing you used to do. Nobody's ever had a problem with it - there's just an understanding that I do things differently. I think, if you talk to Principal Bump about all this, he'll have a solution for you."

"I don't even know if I'm a witch."

"Doesn't really matter, does it?" Gus said, "You have the abilities you have, and we roll with it."

"I don't want to disappoint everyone."

"You won't disappoint us," Amity says, "We're always in your corner."

"Thanks, Amity," Hunter replies, "I'm just not sure about this. I wasn't exactly a good person before I left the Emperor's Coven."

"I think people will understand that you're just a kid, like the rest of us, and you trusted what the adult you were raised by was true," Willow says, "If anybody is mad about you being the Golden Guard, ask them if they would know if their parents were lying to them if they never went to school or weren't allowed to spend time with anybody else, like you weren't. Making them think about that might change how they feel."

"And what if it doesn't?"

"Then you walk away and come find us," Gus says, "Some of us are kinda legendary, thanks to casting an illusion over the entire school."

Hunter quietly laughs, "That was pretty intense. And some powerful magic."

"I know. I'm kinda a big deal," Gus replies, winking. "And don't forget, the flier derby team rescued you from the scouts. You've got other people willing to stand up for you."

"About the concealment stone," Luz says, "You don't have to lie. You could tell them that Belos hurt you badly enough it left scars and you don't want to show everyone just yet. You don't have to tell them when or how, or even that it was after the Day of Unity. You don't even have to say he's still alive. Everybody's seen what he's capable of. Telling them he hurt you, too, probably won't surprise anyone."