Chapter 5: The First Night

Luz spends hours she should be sleeping staying up to tell Eda, Lilith, Steve, and Hooty about their months in the human realm.

"...and after Flapjack saved Hunter, we all came back here. Vee's staying in the human realm. But I guess now we have to learn about what's been going on here so we can take down Belos for good and figure out what's up with the Collector."

Lilith glances toward the door, "Poor Hunter...he's been through so much."

"We'll make plans in the morning," Camila says, "Luz, I know your mind is spinning, but its late and this has been a very long day. You need to try to rest."

Eda nods, "Let's get mama set up on the couch for now."

Lilith gives her another hug while Eda gathers bedding for Camila, "I'm so glad you all made it back. We were so worried...."

"I've been worried about you, too. We didn't know if any of you survived the Day of Unity."

"It's been rough," Lilith replies, "We'll talk more in the morning. But let's just say there's been a lot to get used to and, at the same time, some things have been the same."

They turn out lights, say their goodnights, and head to bed. Luz snuggles with Camila for a few minutes before heading to her own room. She softly knocks on the door and waits to hear Hunter's reply.

"You still awake?" she whispers.

A very quiet, "Yeah?" comes from the other side of the door.

"Can I come in?"

"It's your room."

Luz steps in; it's dark, the only light coming from outside, "It's yours now, too."

Hunter is cocooned in a blanket, leaning against a pillow propped against the wall, hugging his stomach, head bowed, "I'm just here Luz. I don't feel so well. I won't fit in at the Owl House - I'm here because there's nowhere else for me to go."

Luz shrugs, "I mean, yeah, there kinda is...Darius said you could stay with him. I'm sure everybody'd understand if you needed to be there instead of here. Why don't you feel l Ike you'll fit in?"

Hunter shakes his head, "It's bigger.... I don't really want to talk about it."

"OK. But I'm here if you decide you want to. Even if it's hard stuff to say." Luz tucks under her blankets on the floor beside the bed and turns to look over at Hunter, "You sure you don't want to say anything?" He nods, staring at the floor. "Wake me when you do. You're not alone."

Luz is starting to drift off when he very softly speaks, "I don't want to be here."

"Where do you want to be?" she asks.

"Nowhere," he answers, "because I don't want to be. I'd rather not exist at all. I know I shouldn't feel like that. Not after what..." he squeezes his eyes closed, "after what Flapjack did for me." He can't continue, choking on his Palisman's name. "But...but I do. I just...I want it to end."

She sits up and scoots over to sit next to him, "Hunter...I...I...don't know how to talk about this. I'm OK to listen, but...can I go get a mom?"

"Camila," he whispers. "She'll understand."

"Will you be safe by yourself if I go get her?"

Hunter takes a little too long to answer; Luz takes his hand before the words come out, "Maybe. I think so. I don't know." She sits quietly with him until he says, "Yeah. I'll be alright. Just don't take too long, OK?"

She squeezes his hand, lets go, and then stands up, "I'm considering that a promise."

"I know."

Luz walks calmly from the room, but hurries as soon as she's a little ways down the hall, skidding through the living room door, "Mom, are you up?"