10

Haein

A week in Jeju, and it had been an interesting week so far because of the case we were working with and my new buddy, Jisoo. Not a single boring day to be exact. Even on a rest day, her antics over our group chat never failed to fascinate me.

She's like an animated character made to amuse me or make me mad. She had both effects on me for some reasons.

And another week has started. I came early to the police station. I was dragged back to reality with a phone call. My sister.

"How's your week? I was so damn busy the whole day yesterday."

"New case?" I asked her, multitasking with reading updates.

"Sleeping." She exclaimed dramatically.

Working for SMPA really meant sleep deprivation. Of course I understand.

"I just woke up to put food on my tummy because it's growling so loud I can't sleep but after it calm down, I slept again. I did not even thought of checking up on you. So how are you my dear brother?"

Still treating me like a kid.

"Okay so far. Kim continued to be bothersome but at least she behaved a bit. She hadn't kick anyone so far."

My sister cackled on the other line.

"Haein, I was asking about work, not your buddy. You sounded like you are reporting your crush to me."

"Of course not!!!" I squealed on the spot. "And hey Gene, take note, that's work related. She's my junior."

"You sounded so defensive and like a whipped suitor though. Is she pretty?"

Thoughts of her paraded on my mind. Our first meeting. The bar chaos. Our weeklong bantering. That last incident inside the pantry.

"She's stubborn, she's hard headed." I stopped remembering the crazy acts she made. "She's ill tempered and---

"Haein." He called my name, completely cutting me off. "I studied criminal psychology. A denial to one is an admission to other. You can just be honest with me."

I huffed deep breathes, caught off guard.

"I don't like her."

My sister's laughter exploded like a bomb on my ear.

"You are way too obvious now, Haein. You were like this on your first girlfriend, I could clearly remember. I did not even ask if you like her but you were the one insinuating things..."

Now I wanted to press the end button.

"I am serious Gene. I don't."

"Whatever. But I will make sure David and Mingue will know." She chirped excitedly. "So your verdict? How does she look?" 

"Okay, fine. I'll give it to her. She's really pretty."

"Really." My sister parroted my words. "It's rare for you to even say pretty to a lady. You even have to add really to emphasize. I am eager to meet her now."

I can't believe I really admitted it to her.

A knock on the door made me shift my attention. Thank God.

"I have to go Gene and no, you are not gonna meet Kimmy." Geonhee's head just popped on the door in time as I end the call with my sister.

"You need me Sir?" He asked as he entered my office.

"Yes, please take your seat." I pointed the seat across mine. I handed him a small piece of paper. "I need you to go here."

Namwon's Best, Grill and Restaurant