20: Coming Out

After everyone had left the coffee shop, Heizou and Kazuha returned to their flat.

Kazuha knew he had to discuss his plan with Heizou.
„ Hey sweetheart?", Kazuha asked, „ Can I talk to you about something?"

Heizou nodded their head.
„ What's up?", Heizou asked.

„ I'm going to come out to my parents tonight!", Kazuha announced.

Heizou's eyes opened widely.
„ What?!", he gasped, „ But you told me you had a fear of being abandoned!"

„ I still do!", Kazuha explained, „ But I had a chat with that Kokomi girl. And she told me that my parents might force me to marry someone I don't love some day if I don't tell them the truth. And she's right! I need to do something about it, so that's why I'm going to be brave and come out tonight!"

„ Well, I'll be by your side!", Heizou said, „ If they say anything horrible, I do know karate so I can kick-!"
„ Heizou, let's not get physical!", Kazuha laughed.

Heizou laughed too.
„ I believe in you, Zuzu!", Heizou said as he kissed his boyfriend's forehead.

The whole afternoon, the couple made plans on how Kazuha would come out to his parents. After they finally came up with a good plan that both of them could agree on, Heizou started cooking the dinner.

At 6PM, Kazuha's parents arrived at the flat.

They were stunned to see how neat the flat was.
„ Wow! I'm impressed!", Kazuha's mom said, „ Maybe it's good that Kazuha has a roommate. Kazuha is a very messy person!"

Kazuha and Heizou laughed.
„ Well, would you guys like anything to drink while I make the dinner?", Heizou asked.

„ Yes please! I will have a glass of water!", Kazuha's mom said.
„ Same with me!", Kazuha's dad said.

„ What about you, sweetheart?", Heizou asked Kazuha.

Kazuha turned bright red. He made eye contact with his parents, who were looking at their phones.
It looked like they hadn't heard the pet name Heizou had called their boyfriend.

„ I'll have a Fanta please!", Kazuha said.

Heizou prepared everyone a drink. Kazuha sat down on the couch with his parents, while Heizou cooked the dinner.

„ So, what do you think of the girl we brought along?", Kazuha's dad asked, meaning Kokomi.

„ Well she's a nice person! And I would like to be friends with her!", Kazuha said.
„ But son! That's not the reason we brought her along!", Kazuha's mom said, „ We need you to start going out with her. By the time you're 22 years old, we would love to see you already married. That's how it was for your dad and I!"

Kazuha took a deep breath.
„ But what I don't want to be like dad and you?", Kazuha said.

Kazuha's parents looked at each other and laughed.
„ Oh son, don't be ridiculous!", Kazuha's mom laughed, „ We are doing you a favor by helping you find a girlfriend, since we both know that talking to girls is something you're bad at!"

Kazuha took out his phone and decided to look at TikTok's, since he was only planning on coming out to his parents at the dinner table.

After a good half hour, the dinner was served.

Heizou had prepared everyone pasta with meatballs.
„ Wow, these taste amazing!", Kazuha's mom said as she took a bite out of a meatball.

„ I agree! Kazuha is lucky to have a roomate like you, since he can't even cook!", Kazuha's dad laughed.

Everyone was silent for a few minutes, as they ate their food.
It was Kazuha's mom who broke the silence.

„ So, Heizou, what are your type of girls?", Kazuha's mom asked, „ Maybe Kazuha can get inspiration from you, since you do seem to be a good influence for him!"

Heizou made eye contact with Kazuha.

This was a signal that it was time for Kazuha to come out.
„ My type, you say?", Heizou asked.
„ Yes! Your type of girls that you would date!", Kazuha's mom repeated.

„ My type...is Kazuha!", Heizou said.

Kazuha's parents stopped eating and stared at Heizou.
„ I'm sorry...I believe you misunderstood my question!", Kazuha's mom chuckled.

„ No, I did not!", Heizou said, „ And like I said, my type is Kazuha!"

Heizou smiled at Kazuha.

They leaned in and kissed Kazuha's lips.

Kazuha's parents sat there in shock.

„ Mom, dad, I am not straight!", Kazuha announced, „ I wasn't planning on telling you, since you would be horrible to me just like how you're horrible to my cousin Beidou. And you know what? I'm proud that I won't turn out like you. I want to enjoy my college years with Heizou, and not with a girl that both of you want me to date!"

Heizou had his foot ready to kick Kazuha's parents, in case they would lose their temper or call Kazuha a slur.

But instead, Kazuha's parents sighed, and then smiled.

„ Well, it explains more why you don't want a girlfriend, Kazuha!", Kazuha's mom said, „ I am still against the LGBTQ+ community, and always will be. But you are our son, Kazuha. And we want you to have whatever makes you happy!"

Kazuha and Heizou were shocked.

„ So...you won't abandon me?", Kazuha gasped.

„ Abandon you?", Kazuha's dad laughed, „ We may not agree with certain views on things, but no matter what, we would never abandon our son!"

Kazuha started tearing up.
„ All this time...I thought you would abandon me!", he cried.

Kazuha's parents hugged their son tightly.
„ We will always love you!", they said.

Kazuha knew that he did love his parents, but he did wish that they one day would learn that people who aren't straight are people too. Maybe one day, they would finally accept the LGBTQ+ community.