Ch. 11

Not even two days after Thomas left with Alfie, the men from before showed back up at the office. It was late in the afternoon and we were drawing near to closing. But somehow before the clock struck five, a whole fleet of men came bustling into the hallway and straight to the meeting room where we had met before. I was sitting quietly at my desk chewing away at a Hershey bar and reading over the newspaper just waiting for hours to dwindle by. Niccoli hovered in my doorway nervously picking at the skin of his fingers before finally catching my attention. He looked white as a sheet.

"They are requesting a meeting and said it's urgent." He ran his nimble fingers through the top of his hair before letting out a small sigh, "They also said they wouldn't negotiate without a Shelby man being present."

Fear nipped at my skin but I quickly shoved it to the side. I was to conduct myself how Thomas would if he were in my shoes. The dread of facing them still loomed over my head and swam through my racing brain faster than my feet would carry me across the dull wooden floors. Each step I prayed was my last. Jon met my gaze in the hall as I passed him by and without hesitation followed suit. Arthur had gone with Tommy and Alfie, so Jon would have to do for now. It wasn't that I doubted him, he just had certain tendencies. Like catching our guests on fire or cutting out their tongues should they spout nonsense over me and the company. 

It's happened more than once. 

Just as I pushed into the room, every voice hushed and every head turned. They all seemed slightly disappointed in my arrival but no one said anything yet. Together, Jon and I walked to the end of the table and I took a seat in Tommy's chair. Jon loomed over my shoulder in his usual spot and Niccoli held back, leaning against the far wall with his pen and notepad in hand. The silence remained while we all squirmed about in our seats trying to conjure the proper words as each party seemed to already be on edge due to the circumstances.

" I would like if Mr. Shelby-" The man from before, Simon, started. But I didn't let him finish, lashing back as if he had spoken out of turn.

"He isn't here. You requested a Shelby man," I motioned to Jon who dipped his head in a small nod before looking over each person at the table, "Here he is. But I'm afraid your negotiations will reside with me." 

Almost all at once the room roared with chatter as they all had negative things to say on the matter. Just as instantaneously I went to stand as if to call off the meeting entirely. I had no time for foul play or poorly dressed misogynists. 

"Wait!" Simon yelled and I stopped to look at the near-pleading man, "I would like to speak to you. It's urgent, it cannot wait."

As I sat back down and crossed my legs, the man seemed to calm in his seat. The way he was acting I'm surprised he hadn't jumped out and groveled at my feet for attention. 

"Tomorrow morning one of our allied companies will be moving money from their estate. It's the first and only time in nearly fifty years it's being done. We already have approved men to guard it as it's transported."

"Then why do you need more? It seems as if you have it handled." I retorted.

"Because we want it. All of it. With our men on the job, it wouldn't be very difficult and the route they would be taking makes it even easier."

Jon scoffed from behind me, chuckling and muttering under his breath. It was enough to make the whole room freeze in anticipation. The way each eye slowly fell on me as I pretended to ponder over it sent a deep satisfaction into me. This was the best part of the job, no wonder Thomas loved it so much.

"You want us to pull off a heist when two of our best men are gone?" My question came more as a statement.

"I wasn't expecting Mr.Shelby's absence." He wiped his forehead on the back of his jacket sleeve, "Please, I'm sure you have some men you could send out. It would take no more than a couple of hours and then we'd be forever in your debt."