Ch. 19

[Sensitive topics warning !]

*Emilias POV*

Thomas was still trying to keep me and Jon out of the office but it wasn't going well for him. I was constantly being beraded with questions and paperwork at home so I felt like today was a good day to go back and check in on things. I waited until the end of the week on purpose, seeing how it's our least busy time. When I pulled up infront of the brick building I had already spotted bad news. Michael's vehicle was parked right infront of the office and from the looks of it, Tommy wasn't here.

Without wasting any time I quickly made my way inside , pushing the door against the cold winds . The lighting seemed dimmer than usual but I wrote it off as being close to closing time.

Voices echoed from the back room and looking down the hallway I could see the door to Thomas's office standing wide open. My heart rate quickened  banging against my ribs as I walked forward to the doorway. Before I could even reach the threshold I could see Michael pressing Niccoli to the wall with a strong grip. His hand twisted into Niccolis shirt holding him in place as he continued to yell perfusly in his face.

I tried to be quiet so I could listen in on the words spilling from Michael's mouth as he foamed with rage.

"Don't you ever give me orders in my own goddamn company!" He shook and spat as Niccoli tried to turn away.

Michael lifted his fist and bashed into the side of Nicos face , leaving a trail  line of blood. It seeped to his shoulders and into the white dress shirt he was wearing. I flinched with each impact as he continued hitting him over and over.

Niccoli seemed to sense someone was watching because he looked over through worn out eyes and shook his head as to warn me to stay away. His gaze was almost pleading as Michael continued screaming profanities.

I let my mind wander for way to long as i stood trying not to panic. I was imagining Niccoli on the beach with his painting kit and easel. The way his hair streamed in the wind around his face . Even his white coated smile seemed to burn into my memory before I was ripped straight out by the bitter words Michael spewed. His voice seemed to crack as he screamed.

Before I could stop myself I yelled out for Michael to stop and in his drunken rage he turned to me. I could see the darkness in his eyes as he stalked towards me . I tried to back away but it was no use. He struck me with the back of his hand sending me stumbling further into the hallway. I only held his attention for so long before he was back to beating Niccoli.

"You fucking fairy." He spat.

My breathing hitched at the newly painted sight before me. Michael stood tall and bloodied as Niccoli slumped carefully infront of him. Defeated.
I wanted to know why he wouldn't fight back but I knew. He was loyal to Tommy because he was loyal to me. He had no idea the true horrors of Michael we had endured .

My feet seemed to be moving themselves as I lunged forward into the room and after I crossed the threshold I'm unsure of what happened. My vision began with a bright blur before melting into a dark abyss . Only shadows and figures danced across the floor before me.

The thudding came first. It was louder than the punches that landed against Niccolis head. Although dull it grew sharper until my own heartbeat shook inside my skull. Soon I couldn't even feel my own breathing. It was like the room around me took on the shape of my lungs , moving in and out of a chest cavity not belonging to me.

Then the shaking. The violent shaking. So hard that the world spun and I was thrown from my feet to the floor, where I laid in a pool of my own consciousness.

"Emilia , give it to me." Niccolis voice faded in before my vision had, "Emilia give it to me , now."

My body continued to tremble and shake until the atmosphere cleared and I was back in that office. All I could see was Nicos face as he continued shaking and clawing at the clenched fist infront of me.

"Goddamn it , Emilia!" He pleaded, "Give it to me right fucking now!"

I looked down to see Tommy's golden letter opener tucked tightly beneath my fingers. The sticky red liquid coating it also ran up my arms and over my shirt sleeves. It's warmth sucked me further back into reality until I could hear footsteps approaching us quickly.

My grip loosened enough for Niccoli to retrieve the letter opener and he jumped back just as the footsteps halted in the door. I glanced over at the floor beside him to see Michael's body laying cold and still against the wooden floorboard. His chest spilled over with the same liquid coating my body , unwavering. His eyes focused in on the blank walls of the room but he didn't move.

"Holy hell." Arthur breathed from the doorway.

It wasn't long before Jon and Thomas pushed past him to see the scene for themselves. My eyes met with Niccolis only for a split second before Jon was pushing his against the wall. He snatched the weapon from his hand and through it against the floor , the metal glinting as it skimmed over and under the desk.

"I- I'm sorry, Thomas . He put his hands on, Emilia." Niccoli choked out.

"You killed him." Jon spat .

No.

I rose to my feet almost instantly trying to hold my balance but it was no use. Using my hand to brace the wall, I tried to get Tommy's attention but he was occupied. It was almost as if I didn't exist at the moment.

"So you signed his death certificate?" Thomas cocked his head, "I think my wife can handle herself, Niccoli."

"But Thomas he-" I started but Niccoli interrupted me.

"I understand.  I didn't mean to kill him." He said.

Thomas rubbed his eyes for several moments letting out a rugged sigh. He paced over the room before turning his attention to his brothers.

"Arthur, you take Niccoli back to his apartment. Jon take care of the body." He looked over to Niccoli, "You don't leave your apartment until I allow you too, understood?"

They all nodded in agreement and started to follow his orders. My grip on the wall began to falter as the blood coating my hand made the surface slippery. Even as I repositioned myself to get a better balance, I couldn't pry my eyes from Michael long enough to hold my composure. Tears quietly streamed from my eyes and over my cheeks as I tried to sink back into the floor.

Thomas linked an arm under the bend of my knees and around my back hoisting me up into his hold. I allowed my head to roll over against his chest as he started out of the office. Pine and ciggerate smoke lingered over my face until I started to black out once again.