Ch. 27

Weeks had passed since my experience in the small trailer. Both Thomas and Jon began avoiding my questions and only spoke to me when it was absolutely necessary. Thomas would come to bed late into the night then be gone before the sun would rise. Several times I met my breaking point, so I would stomp my way to the office only to find he was missing. Today his desk sat cold and empty but what caught my eye was a woman dropped in a dark green blazer and pencil skirt , typing away at some paperwork. Her eyes cut to mine when she noticed I was standing by the door and her lips upturned to give me a gentle smile.

Angelica.

"Hello Mrs. Shelby" She greeted.

"You work here?" I raised an eyebrow.

Her face fell and she clenched her jaw shut. I was impressed by her ability to not stutter over her words as I may have done in the past sitting in the same exact position she was.

About two weeks ago, not long after Madame Vadoma, Angelica moved from our guest room to an apartment downtown. Apparently both Jon and Arthur's wives had an intervention with Tommy and gave him an ultimatum. Either she moved out of couch hopping our houses or they would be collectively leaving. Of course they were unhappy when I refused to band with them. Although I understood,  I didn't agree with lashing out over a misunderstanding. Linda chalked it up to be about money, saying I was only staying with Thomas due to his wealth. When I told Esme 'no' she started pouring lies in my direction hoping something would stick.

"I heard its Tommy's mistress that Jon and Arthur are trying to help hide from you." She had said.

"Have you ever spoke to Angelica?" I questioned in response.

Both women were taken aback and visibly hurt that I would trust a strangers word against theirs.

Truth was I didn't fully trust Angelica, but I knew two things for certain.

She was too young for Thomas and could never hold his attention. From numerous conversations I gathered that she was barely 19. Despite the age gap between Tommy and I, he saw her in the same light as he saw Finn and that was obvious.

And number two, Thomas wouldn't sleep inside his bloodline. Ever since I heard the words leave Vadomas lips I had be tracing back on the family tree. I grasped at every distant cousin trying to determine who she was born too and what made her so valuable to the brothers.

So far there was absolutely nothing

It seemed every branch led to a dead end. All except the one I was now attached too.

"I was struggling to find a job due to my lack of experience. Thomas hired me here so I could pay rent." She finally answered.

"Good." I said all too short, "just try to avoid the others as much as possible. I'm sure you already know why."

"Thomas told me." She brushed some of her hair behind her ear, "I'm sorry to have caused so much trouble."

"They are being overly dramatic. You'll get used to it after awhile. Don't let it get to you, okay?"

She huffed a sigh of relief. The glistening in her eyes soon subsided and I watched the smile slowly return. I turned on my heels and started to walk back out of the office when she once again yelled to grab my attention.

"Yes?" I looked over my shoulder.

"Emilia I'm- " she paused as if she wasn't sure whether or not to continue. But after a deep breath she did, "I'm not sleeping with your husband."

A laugh pushed through my chest before I could stop it . The air thinned around us as I shook my head.

"I know you aren't,  sweetheart. My husband has taken an interest in you so therefore I have also taken an interest. I'm not jealous , I'm frustrated by my unanswered questions."