Chapter 13

Larry's mother came quickly once he called her. He didn't tell her he was having guests, which made a pit of anxiety rise in my stomach. Would she be mad?

I walked up the short hill with Larry, second-guessing every step I took. Was I really about to go smoke weed at Larry's house? There didn't seem to be any other way to fill this weird hole in my heart. It was hard to be happy or feel anything. Weed might help fill that hole.

It took me a moment, but I realized there was still blood falling from my lip. Some dry, some fresh, it was all the same, blood is blood. I wiped my lip with my thumb before licking it to try and clear some of the blood.

I would probably need to take care of my face when I got to Larrys home, if it could be called that. It was more just like a basement, not that I was gonna judge him. I had done that enough already.

"Will your mom be mad?"

"Maybe a little at me, but not you."

"She should be mad at me."

"But she won't be." He flashed me a cheeky grin, exposing the small gap in his teeth. I felt my own lips twitch, his smile was making me smile. Perhaps I was already high and didn't know it.

I wasn't sure, I averted my gaze and walked up to the car with him, lowering my head. Larry, in turn, smacked me in the back of the head.

"Look up, you're fine." I slapped him back before looking up. His mom looked surprised but didn't say anything as I hopped in the back seat. My eyebrows furrowed slightly when Larry hopped in the back after me.

"Well, yall seem to be getting on just fine now."

"Yup," Larry replied calmly as he tightened his seat belt and signaled for me to put mine on.

"Travis, honey, what happened to your lip? Larry didn't do that, did he?"

"Uh, no, that wasn't Larry."

She left out a sigh of relief. "Good."

She left it at that and sent us worried glances every few seconds.

"So, Travis, I assume I'm taking you home. Where do you live?"

"Um, actually, mom, is Travis able to come over?"

She was silent, sending us weird looks every so often but nodded anyway and started driving to the apartments.

We didn't talk in the backseat since Lisa kept looking at us suspiciously from time to time. We were both basically lying in the backseat by this point. Larry looked overly relaxed, and I was no longer nervous to be alone with Larry.

I was a bit nervous. What if my dad smelled the weed on me? I guess it wouldn't matter. He was already gonna be pissed at me for leaving, so whatever.  I might as well at least try to have a little fun.

God, my resolve was crumbling fast. I sighed heavily. What would God think? Surely he could understand, right? Or maybe he'd never understand. Maybe I was in the wrong, maybe I would regret all this in years' time.

Larry gave me a worried look, but I just shrugged him off. I didn't wanna seem like a wuss, so I would just do it.

Besides, what's the worst that could possibly happen?

When we finally got to Larry's home, he didn't waste any time practically dragging me to his room. He seemed more excited than I did, really.

"Okay so, your gonna cough pretty hard at first, but It'll go away once you get used to it."

I just nodded while he prepared the blunt on his dresser. His room was rather plain, really, more than I had expected, but, messy. His clothes were all just in a basket on the floor and he had a bunch of painting supplies just lying on his floor.